• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Frizzen Spring Removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do all owners of flintlocks have a mainspring vise for removing the frizzen spring and the mainspring? I am working on a Pedersoli Great Plains Rifle kit and would like to take the hammer and frizzen spring off of the lock plate in order to remove the coloring of the outside of the lock and refinish it with a french gray appearance. I am having trouble finding a mainspring vice and don't really know if I want to buy one since, being new to flintlocks, I don't really know if I will use it much, or ever at all, after this project. Is there a safe and reasonable alternative method/tool that can be used to remove and then replace the frizzen spring? Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I use a pair of 3" narrow nose vise grips. Close the frizzen, put the vise grip over the spring and tighten it by hand. That will hold the spring at tension. Then close the frizzen. That will get the fri8zzen out of contsact with the spring. Remove the spring retention screw and lift the spring off. I usually leave the spring in the vise grip until I re-assemble everything so there is no chance of anything getting over-bent. I have used the same system on mainsprings, but have a proper vise now.

I have a tool I bought years ago from a well known maker. ( i can't remember his name)It is a narrow piece of rod with a hook on the end. When one of the kids comes by I'll have them take a picture of it and try to post it. Makes it easy, just place the hook end over the bend in the frizzen spring and apply pressure .

I bought the right device a main spring vise, that also works on frizzen springs also, from TOTW. that is what it is made for & historically correct, in case any Stitch Nazis are out there.? jmho.

on the mainspring I use a mainspring vice. For the frizzen spring a small C clamp works fine

on the mainspring I use a mainspring vice. For the frizzen spring a small C clamp works fine
I use a small 1 inch "C" clamp too. I glued small leather pads to the clamping surfaces and it works well. Fit the clamp just snug, not tight, and move the frizzen forward. Remove the frizzen screw and frizzen and remove the frizzen spring. I leave the clamp on the spring until reassembly.

I have three mainspring vises. I use them all. They are a tool you should have. The reason I have three? Each one has a different base or step so they can fit well in most locations.

now I have used a small needle nose vise grip but I would never advise someone to do that.
they can break a spring. If I break a spring it’s on me.
thevgreT thing and beauty of a main spring vise is you can turn the screw enough to disengage. Just enough. Not more than needed but just enough.
Keep in mind you might be working with springs that might have never been stressed other than assembly. Too much too soon and you can hear that so subtle little snap.
I also try to keep a couple springs on hand just in case.
wish you the best. Sooner or later you will need a real mainspring vise

I always use a mainspring vise to remove the frizzen spring. Being a retired gun builder, I always had two handy, so I could compress both springs just enough for removal, and then left them compressed in the vises until re-installed.

Latest posts

Back