• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made Smoke in Pa.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucktales

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Got back from North central Pa. a few days ago and I'd like to share a couple of Firsts for me.
After missing a Jake in the rain on Monday morning, I went out the next day and here's the result. I'm glad I missed the Jake. :haha:
IMG_6668.jpg

This longbeard weighed 23 lbs., had a 9 inch beard, and spurs were 1 inch. He came strutting right in to my dummies and was quite a sight with the sun hitting him just right.
Gun is a NSW Early English .62
Load was 85 grs.Goex 2f, 1/2 lubed fiber wad, 1 1/2 oz.#5 shot and 2 over shot cards. This combination rolled him over at just under 30 yards. (Yep, That's a Swampy Bag too)

This was my first Pa. Turkey and my first with a Flinter.
Plump he was!
IMG_6677.jpg

Had another first too.
Had a visitor in my ground blind.
This deer visited my twice and she enjoyed getting her neck scratched while she licked my face. I thought I'd seen it all! :youcrazy:
IMG_6701.jpg

Nice bird, but I gotta ask, what's up with the deer? :confused:

I am glad I am not from PA, if the deer acted like that in GA I don't think I could shoot one and I do love backstraps and biscuits. :redface: Chris

Outstanding on the Tom, congratulations!
:hatsoff:
And a unique / funny story & photo about the deer for sure.

Who's deer farm where you hunting on? :grin:
Great job on the bird. I'm in Pa right know. Gonna try to do the same thing you did. I'll be hunting around Kane Pa. this coming week. I brought my 20gauge fowler I built and gonna see if I can connect. All the guys have been hearing birds so hopefully it will pan out.

Nice turkey,congrats! :thumbsup: Wow,something's gotta be wrong with that deer!! :youcrazy: :haha:

That deer must have liked Swampy's bag! I gotta get me one ah them. :haha: Grats on the story and bird. :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Huh. Never thought I'd here a story like that. Do you keep a hunting journal. That would make a great entry. I started keeping one about 7 years ago. I figure future family generations might find it interesting.

Thanks.
Still can't figure out the deer.
I have no knowledge of anyone in the area having raised one or has been feeding them. Just don't know. The camera flash didn't even spook it. No fear at all.
It's probably a once in a lifetime experience and I'm glad it was me.

IMG_6677.jpg

Congrats..they both look great..Enjoyed the story..Wishing you many more!

Not quite as strange as your story but similar. A couple of years ago I was squirrel hunting in south GA on public land. I had a doe come down a trail less than five yards from where I was sitting, I figured I would stand up just to see her reaction. She did jump back a few steps, then walked right on by as unconcerned as could be, not quite close enough to touch, but almost. She looked well fed and healthy and acted normal in every way, except paying me no mind.

But licking your face while you scratched under her chin, that beats all, and a hunting story to tell for years. Chris

Nice job!

Gotta love those PA gobblers.

Looks like a good deer set up too!

Greg

Awesome hunt! Way cool that you got a pic of that deer. That stuff don't happen every day.

Back