• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made my first knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here she is, 5" blade of 1/8" thick O1 tool steel hardened and triple drawn to 56 Rc. I left the blade alone after tempering, I liked the look of it that way. That did pose a small challenge in sizing the scales without hitting the blade and removing the coloring from heat treating. The scales are Hickory rubbed with 4 coats of tung oil (so far) attached with .1875 brass pins. I know I made a few mistakes along the way, but that is how you learn...am I right?

I am already planning my next knife project. I can see where this can become addicting. Thanks again for all the help from you guys in my previous posts.

0005051.jpg

0005050.jpg

0005049.jpg

0005052.jpg

Exceptional work for a beginner!! Better than some experienced makers. How did you go about your heat treat?

Thanks for the compliments guys. The knife turned out better than I thought it would.

Wick Ellerbe said:
How did you go about your heat treat?

I work in a Tool & Die shop as a machining department foreman, so I am fortunate to have the equiptment to harden and temper almost any type of steel I need to.

Most impressive, and very nice lines, which comes from a critcal eye.

I am new here so I can say nearly anything too! I can't wait to see a next one. Mac

man what a great job Ive seen prison shanks that looked better than my first try. That is a beaut. :bow:

melsdad,
To be honest,I would be glad to have
that as one of my kitchen knives.Very nice!!!
snake-eyes:bow::applause::hatsoff:

I'm not really a "knife guy" but that one sings to me. Go make another while you have some momentum :applause:

Back