• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a powder measure out of an Antler. Need more antlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Antlers have become BIG business, at least they have in the west. Your best bet is to go shed hunting yourself or get them from people who don’t know what they’re worth 😬. A good match set of 6X6 elk sheds fetch several hundred dollars!

A little 35 grainer I made for one of my pistols.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 60
I used a drill on the one above. 5/16" for the main hole and 3/8" to sort of "cone" the opening to make it easier to pour powder into it from the horn or flask.

I was the knife maker who bought Eric Krewshaw's antlers off St Jude auction. I also donate a couple of knives each year to that auction. My purchase was actually more of a donation to St Jude as I have boxes of antler. There are a couple of shops that sell antlers in Gunnison CO at less expensive prices. If you can find them on Google, PM me as I probably have can dig up the info...tippit

I was the knife maker who bought Eric Krewshaw's antlers off St Jude auction. I also donate a couple of knives each year to that auction. My purchase was actually more of a donation to St Jude as I have boxes of antler. There are a couple of shops that sell antlers in Gunnison CO at less expensive prices. If you can find them on Google, PM me as I probably have can dig up the info...tippit
Thanks man,

yea I’m defiantly going to be making more of this stuff.

I found a supplier. Hopefully I’ll be able to build a few more soon.

Anyone have a piece of elk looking for a medium sized piece shape of a Y want to make a German style powder flask. to go with a game net hunting bag I will make also.

That is real skill, I can’t imagine making something so exact from antler.
Pennstate has the materials need. You make them on a wood lath. Not that difficult if you can work wood but of coarse antler is really hard compared to most wood so it does take a certain amount of talent and patients. One nice thing is when you shoot a buck you can make or have pens made from your buck.

I would suggest looking around for specialty leather and craft stores that also cater to Native American crafts and fur trapping. Whitetail deer antlers are often sold as a byproduct of deer farming.

Latest posts

Back