• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a powder measure out of an Antler. Need more antlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken1980

40 Cal
Reaction score
Saturday I went with my wife into town to antique shop. I bought a pair of small antlers and made this powder measure calibrated for 60 grains of fffg Swiss.

It was fun, now I need a bigger antlers to make a 90 grain measure.

Any one else make these things?

Attachments

• 4C1E8E78-C589-4E2F-8A76-3D9B216F219F.jpeg
    4C1E8E78-C589-4E2F-8A76-3D9B216F219F.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 121
Man that is genius, when I go to town I’ll stop by petsmart.

Thanks!
Hawken1980:
Howdy. Be prepared to pay out the butt at the pet supply store. I went there looking for some "pieces" to make a knife handle and some measures. Anything worth buying went for $12.00 up to $30.00+
Just a heads up. They may be cheaper in your area, I went to Petco. I did see some very small pieces for $6.00 and up, but they were way too small to be of any use. Check out this company. It's Moscow Hide and Fur Antlers and Horns - Deer, Elk, Moose and More
They have some good deals on small beams and tines.
God bless:
Two Feathers

On antlers; I collected them off the deer I killed for 50 years, most were 1 1/2-2 1/2 old deer, I tacked them up on the wall of my shop. One day I thought "they don't look good to me anymore" and took them all down and consigned them to the attic.

After a couple of years in the attic I decided to donate them to an online auction to raise money for St Jude. I made two lots, one weighed 9# one weighed 12# , they auctioned off to a knife maker who bid $75 for each lot. I don't miss them one bit.

Lots of powder measures and knife handles in these lots.

antler lot 1.JPG
antler lot 2.JPG

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of pieces at a Flea market. Got them pretty cheap. I would guess they are left overs from making stuff with the. Usually someone has whole ones too but they are very proud of those.

Saturday I went with my wife into town to antique shop. I bought a pair of small antlers and made this powder measure calibrated for 60 grains of fffg Swiss.

It was fun, now I need a bigger antlers to make a 90 grain measure.

Any one else make these things?
I use antler for cup handles, knife handles, powder measures , buttons, and vent pick handles. So you could say I use every thing but the dust. In fact I even save the sanding dust to mix with epoxy to fill holes.

Hawken1980:
Howdy. Be prepared to pay out the butt at the pet supply store. I went there looking for some "pieces" to make a knife handle and some measures. Anything worth buying went for $12.00 up to $30.00+
Just a heads up. They may be cheaper in your area, I went to Petco. I did see some very small pieces for $6.00 and up, but they were way too small to be of any use. Check out this company. It's Moscow Hide and Fur Antlers and Horns - Deer, Elk, Moose and More
They have some good deals on small beams and tines.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Thank you for the tip.

Go hunting the deer have them on their heads. I use deer antler for projects also but the ones from the deer I have shot never see a file or saw blade, yard sale, junk shops and found smaller sheds are my sources.

I've made several powder measures from whitetail antlers, and made a short starter handle from one. I drilled a hole in one end of the antler handle that will fit over the rod so it can be used as a palm saver too. I used elk antler to make a 100 grain 2f measure for my conical load, and also to make a small field flask that holds a smidge over 500 grains of 2f.
It's enjoyable to hike around and look for them. I just like to find a few for making stuff out of. Good time to find rub lines and such as well, for next hunting season.
Good places to look are on brushy trails or trails through timber where a branch might've knocked them off, narrow creeks, fences they jump over, or windfalls across a trail that they'll jump over. The jarring impact when they land knocks them off quite often.
Whitetail shed them around here in very late December through January. Have to look for them in places deer are during that time frame. Higher elevations where snow drives them out by then, for example, aren't going to yield any.

I used to always have a pile of antlers from deer kills but they never made it when we moved three years ago. The few that made it were mounted so I'm out of any antler. But I made all kinds of stuff from them and made powder measures from river cane and pieces of wood. I'll need to shoot a buck to get more. Below from left to right: river cane dbl w/ 30 grns on one end the other throws 60 grns. Middle is a single & throws 70 grns. on the right is another dbl & throws 40 grns one end and 60 grns the opposite end.

From antler: a 60 grn and a 30 grn.

Back