• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a pair of Eastern Woodland Mocs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I followed the video tutorial by The Wandering Bull for their Eastern Woodland moccasins. Although mine don’t look exactly like the ones in the video (probably because I used too thick a hide!), they’ll serve me great out in the woods.
781B796D-E7C3-434F-B425-17EA30029F3F.jpeg

The hide I used is 4-6oz Buffalo splits. What other styles of moccasins do y’all think would work with material this thickness?

Could you please elaborate on that?
I'll try. Tough for me to explain in writing. First I'll suggest the Steve Davis video on pucker-toe moccasin making. I combined his method with Wandering Bull. The only reason I did was because there is one small part of Steve's video I didn't quite understand,,,, and I hadn't seen Noel Greyson's video yet.
https://www.youtube.com/live/kA8rakZrw7M?feature=share
Essentially the closer your stitches are the less pucker you get. So for the 1st 5 or so stitches working out from the center of the toe, the spacing is a little wider than where the seam will come up the arch of the foot. And,,, need to be pulled tight. Pulling the stitch tight, and having a wider spacing should act like a shower curtain on a rod, the material gets bunched up as far down the thread as it caarchives. This will give that puckered area at the toe and pull that pointy part up on top of the toes.

Moccasins fresh made & greased 001.jpg
Moccasins fresh made & greased 005.jpg

(not the best example of the transition from pucker to flat seam, just to show where that point ends up instead of being in front of or under the toes)

Then, nice neat close together stitches are made up the arch.
If the leather is too thick you could try skiving the edges.

I made a pair from a WB kit and instructions that turned out well. I am using home made Durafelt insoles which help a lot with comfort. I also sprayed the bottoms with sealer but am not sure it did much good. I have some heavier leather I want to make a pair or two from and also ordered some thicker Durafelt for insole use. I suppose heavy-duty and moccasins don’t really go together but a little more durable would be nice for the effort.

Good looking first attempt, especially with cowhide suede! The late Seminole elder Billy Bowlegs lll, whose making of moccasins was studied and described by ethnographers, advised using only deer ( and I would think possibly elk) hides for the pucker toe style of mocs. He stated that these, whether braintanned or commercialy tanned, were the only kind that were "appropriate...:" and that cowhide, no matter how supple, wouldn't do. After making and using mocs made of each, I agree. Deerhide is supple enough to get the right "pucker" effect, while being more durable for its thickness than cowhide.
I have started to think of the puckered toe as being specifically a more Southeastern style, as the Eastern Woodland mocs from further north don't look like they have it; some of the more Northern ones I've seen were done with a straight stitch, and then turned so that the stitching was inside the moc.

Last edited:
Good looking first attempt, especially with cowhide suede! The late Seminole elder Billy Bowlegs lll, whose making of moccasins was studied and described by ethnographers, advised using only deer ( and I would think possibly elk) hides for the pucker toe style of mocs. He stated that these, whether braintanned or commercialy tanned, were the only kind that were "appropriate...: and that cowhide, no matter how supple, wouldn't do. After making and using mocs made of each, I agree. Deerhide is supple enough to get the right "pucker" effect, while being more durable for its thickness than cowhide.
I have started to think of the puckered toe as being specifically a more Southeastern style, as the Eastern Woodland mocs from further north don't look like they have it; some of the more Northern ones I've seen were done with a straight stitch, and then turned so that the stitching was inside the moc.
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I’m currently working on another pair with some of the advice provided on this page.

I’ll wear through the pairs I made from bison first, then I’ll invest in some good quality elk. Any recommendations on where to get good elk or deer hide?

I'll try. Tough for me to explain in writing. First I'll suggest the Steve Davis video on pucker-toe moccasin making. I combined his method with Wandering Bull. The only reason I did was because there is one small part of Steve's video I didn't quite understand,,,, and I hadn't seen Noel Greyson's video yet.
https://www.youtube.com/live/kA8rakZrw7M?feature=share
Essentially the closer your stitches are the less pucker you get. So for the 1st 5 or so stitches working out from the center of the toe, the spacing is a little wider than where the seam will come up the arch of the foot. And,,, need to be pulled tight. Pulling the stitch tight, and having a wider spacing should act like a shower curtain on a rod, the material gets bunched up as far down the thread as it caarchives. This will give that puckered area at the toe and pull that pointy part up on top of the toes.

View attachment 239704View attachment 239705
(not the best example of the transition from pucker to flat seam, just to show where that point ends up instead of being in front of or under the toes)

Then, nice neat close together stitches are made up the arch.
If the leather is too thick you could try skiving the edges.
Thanks for the explanation, it really helped when constructing my second pair. They’re looking a lot better IMO.

Attachments

• B205FE54-E740-4E1B-95DA-7008D258304F.jpeg
    B205FE54-E740-4E1B-95DA-7008D258304F.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I’m currently working on another pair with some of the advice provided on this page.

I’ll wear through the pairs I made from bison first, then I’ll invest in some good quality elk. Any recommendations on where to get good elk or deer hide?
I think the company is called Moscow Hide and Fur that was highly recommended to me to get good quality brain tan, they had many different animal hides and split hides, deer, elk, moose, bison, etc. I never would up ordering, couldn't stretch the budget that far.

Here is a link to an article that you may find useful.

http://www.nativetech.org/seminole/moccasins/construction.php
Brain tan is expensive and, if you've ever done it you'll know why. I've not tried it, but the German tan from Crazy Crow may be a good substitute.
Definitely one of the better "how-to's," although I would reccommend reading it through CAREFULLY and thoughtfully re: the early stage of the stitching, and how the "pucker" (a "gather" in tailor terms) is created by making the lace stay straight and the hide fold along it, ONE STITCH AT A TIME.
There is a good reason for every single detail Chief Bowlegs shared with the author...

Latest posts

Back