• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a mistake (Graphic)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the support and the safety discussion in this thread. :thumb:

Came across this RATS tourniquet. I like size for carrying on the regular. But it looks a little complicated to use when adrenaline is pumping.

BCC7F676-43FB-4471-895F-5BF647B5500B.jpeg

58BD37C5-8331-438F-B05B-BC41E0A2DA3F.jpeg

It takes a windlass to tighten a tourniquet tight enough to stop the bleed. If the person isn't screaming from the pain of the tourniquet being tightened it isn't tight enough. And rarely would you put one on a forearm or the lower leg. Each has two bones which will keep you from getting the tourniquet tight enough. With a tourniquet you are basically squashing the surrounding tissue so tight that it compresses the artery or vein enough to stop the flow of blood. A pair of bones can get in the way of that. Use what our gunfighters use, they are proven in combat.

It takes a windlass to tighten a tourniquet tight enough to stop the bleed. If the person isn't screaming from the pain of the tourniquet being tightened it isn't tight enough. And rarely would you put one on a forearm or the lower leg. Each has two bones which will keep you from getting the tourniquet tight enough. With a tourniquet you are basically squashing the surrounding tissue so tight that it compresses the artery or vein enough to stop the flow of blood. A pair of bones can get in the way of that. Use what our gunfighters use, they are proven in combat.

Oh ok, so that one is no good. When they put a tourniquet on me it was my forearm.

I do remember it hurting quite a bit. But that was the least of my worries.

Oh ok, so that one is no good. When they put a tourniquet on me it was my forearm.

I whole heartedly agree with the choices put forth in the video someone posted above.
Could the one you pictured work? In theory, sure. It could/might.
But, we know the CAT works and works well.
None of them work as well as possible if not applied properly.

...When they put a tourniquet on me it was my forearm.

They had the benefit of knowing anatomy, and not being in pain and about to bleed out and/or pass out, and with two hands the ability to place the tourniquet and then loosen and move it if necessary and retighten it. Not to mention Quick-Clot and all the bandages to work with.

Had you a CAT tourniquet set up for one handed use, which also means carrying it somewhere on the front of your body so you can reach it with either hand, putting it above your elbow guarantees you'll stop the bleed on your first attempt, while your body is still amped with adrenaline and you are still conscious.

Just as a point of interest our gunfighters have one on the front of their kit to apply to themselves, and one on the back of their kit for their buddy to apply to them.

Brother, I'm just happy as can be that you are still around, as I know you are. And honored that you would share your story with us.

Back