• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a mistake (Graphic)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpat271

32 Cal
Reaction score
Back in March of 2018 I was loading powder into a traditions sidelock I just picked up at a gunshop. Well I mistakenly grabbed smokeless powder. The barrel ruptured right where my left hand was. Almost bleed out, but paramedics arrived in time to tourniquet my arm. Made to the ER without delay.

Upon further examination the doctors discovered my hand was torn to shreds. Also my torso was riddled with shrapnel. I also broke my jaw in three places. It had to be wired shut and a tracheostomy performed (breathing tube in throat).

So after 3 months in the hospita, 13 surgeries, and 4 months of rehab I was home unassisted. Attached is the night of the accident in the ER and a picI just took a couple hours ago.
5D74B626-E91A-4C31-92D4-0F41CF376FA8.jpeg

2557DA6F-AEDD-4E38-9834-1FE21DFB979F.jpeg

The lesson I learned was always to remain focus in what I’m doing when loading/shooting black powder. I hope this prevents anyone else from making careless mistakes.

So so sorry for what happened to you. Thanks for sharing. Glad the Paramedics got there in time.

I'll use this to say that everyone should have some CAT tourniquets on hand. I have one in my truck, one in the boat, one in the bush plane, one that goes in my cargo pocket so it's on my person, one in my bug out bag, one in my lap top back pack for when I'm traveling. I always grab one and take it to the shooting bench- just in case. And they are all set up for one-handed operation so I can put them on myself.

Ouchee. You must of felt terrible and if I may probably still do?
I am sorry for your injuries 😔.

First thing I thought was aliant bullseye?? But that doesn't really look like blackpowder. Possibly h110 or similar.

Heck....

Glad you survived your mistake.
May I ask how the smokeless came to be in proximity of a muzzleloader?

wm
My farther was reloading his own rounds. So my pyrodex got mixed in somehow. I was just careless and say a green label on a black bottle and grabbed it.

So so sorry for what happened to you. Thanks for sharing. Glad the Paramedics got there in time.

I'll use this to say that everyone should have some CAT tourniquets on hand. I have one in my truck, one in the boat, one in the bush plane, one that goes in my cargo pocket so it's on my person, one in my bug out bag, one in my lap top back pack for when I'm traveling. I always grab one and take it to the shooting bench- just in case. And they are all set up for one-handed operation so I can put them on myself.
I keep them everywhere now

Sorry for your misfortune but thank you for sharing the story. I just went out and sorted my powder - it was all in the same cubby hole. Much of this stuff has very similar containers and is easily confused. My black and substitutes are now in their own separate area from the smokeless. Have a good Thanksgiving.

Ouch!

How does one mistakenly grab smokeless powder? Way different looking container, smells sweet vs eggs, looks way different.

Just dont understand how mistakes like this happen.

Glad you're ok. Missing a few digits, but atleast you still have your booger flingin finger!

Dang that is traumatic. I hate to see anyone going through that as it is horrible but I guess it could have been worse.

Ouch!

How does one mistakenly grab smokeless powder? Way different looking container, smells sweet vs eggs, looks way different.

Just dont understand how mistakes like this happen.

Glad you're ok. Missing a few digits, but atleast you still have your booger flingin finger!

It's easier to do than you think. I was excited about my new purchase and got caught up in the moment of joy. So I quickly ran downstairs, grabbed the powder feeling sure I grabbed the black powder. In hindsight I wasn't treating the whole process with much respect. I became to casual with the serious business loading a gun. I could say that it was because I've loaded my black powder guns hundreds of time without incident.

Back