• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a few flint strikers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Made these today, the C type are made from a overhead door spring the other is made from a new pc of 1095 steel and throws real good sparks
flintstrikers.jpg
[/img]

Nicely done. 1095 does make a great fire steel. I don't know how you harden yours, but I've found brine to work best for me.

Hey Wick ,Thanks for the nice comments , I quench in plain old water no brine I may try it some time. I had this 1095 laying around and wanted to try it, I was impressed with it for sure

I just recently tried the brine. Brine is a faster quench than plain water, but yet is less violent. I was getting occassional cracks with the water quench, but none since I went to the brine. Of course, with 1095, it is always a bit of a gamble. The difference between the two is that the salt disperses the vapor jacket pretty much immediately allowing a faster but more even contact with the water, thus a more even cooling effect. I heat the brine to 130°, and if I remember right, it is a 9% solution. When the steel goes into the brine, there is none of the loud poping and crackleing noise, just a heavy sizzle.

Wick I've read this before about the vapor jacket being less of a issue. Can I ask what type/size of container you quench in and what type salt you are using because I have not tried it and my partner hasn't either ?

I use a 2 1/2" gal. old iron bucket with two gal. of water in it. I used Mortons sea salt. I have been told that Kosher salt is also good, as it is pure salt also. I will have to get back to you on the amount per gallon. I think it was 26 oz of the salt to the 2 gal., but I better check. Too much salt will slow the cooling rate.

Recommended ratio is 8% to 9%. 26 oz makes the 9%, about 24 oz makes 8% in two gallons of water. I don't know how much it takes to float an egg, but too much salt will slow the cooling rate, and so will too much heat. For max hardness 70°F. To lessen the possibility of cracking the steel, warm brine not to exceed 140°F.

When I warm the oil at the shop in the cold months we use 2 pcs of 1 1/4" round stock heated and layed in the container we use a turkey fryer therm wich seems to work well so I dont see why you couldnt do the same for the brine just my opinion.

I stick a candy thermometer in it, and put on the wifes range until it hits temp. Then tote it up to my shop. I caught hell the first time cause I had a leaky bucket.

Hmmm! leaky bucket :( at least it was just salt water not peanut oil or trany fluid :)

Hair over? When your lovely wife got done with you, thered be nuthin left to grow hair on!

Back