• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

M M BENSON RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nissantek

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good afternoon..was looking at getting some info on a rifle I own..., I am looking for the value, but have limited knowledge on it..thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
The rifle has Ohio characteristics. The triggerguard and butt plate are commonly found on Ohio rifles. Buckeye rifles tend to have many metal ornaments rather than carving. The stepped rear sight suggests to me post CW build. As I recall Studebaker displayed at the 1876 centennial exposition a wagon fitted with all aluminum metal part. It was considered as one of the most advanced uses of aluminum at the time. In those days aluminum was very uncommon, expensive, and just beginning to be worked commercially. That makes me think in its day the rifle was a high dollar piece. I'm inclined to think the ornaments were made by someone like Tryon, who supplied metal fittings to gunsmiths.

Back