• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shooting conicals out of a 54 is pretty much an unnecessarily painful experience.

If 45 is legal in your state, a fast twist 45 allows a plethora of bullets from 45-70 molds. Superior velocity and trajectory over distance. Better BCs too.
Yeah, those 400+ grain .45 bullets pack a wallop on both ends too! My .45 likes a few different charges from 70 to 90 grains and in an 8 pound rifle it’ll try your focus. I really enjoy the .40 340 grain spitzers at 1400 fps is easy on the powder flask as well as your shoulder. Unfortunately the game departments don’t know what we know.

Yeah, those 400+ grain .45 bullets pack a wallop on both ends too! My .45 likes a few different charges from 70 to 90 grains and in an 8 pound rifle it’ll try your focus. I really enjoy the .40 340 grain spitzers at 1400 fps is easy on the powder flask as well as your shoulder. Unfortunately the game departments don’t know what we know.

So true. I have it in mind to do a petition to the commission that would result in a common sense and understandable regulation of ml requirements.

Got any suggestions?

Shooting conicals out of a 54 is pretty much an unnecessarily painful experience.

If 45 is legal in your state, a fast twist 45 allows a plethora of bullets from 45-70 molds. Superior velocity and trajectory over distance. Better BCs too.
The bullets my .45-70 unmentionable's shoots are .458 diameter. Ain't no way I could shove those down the bore of my .45 caliber muzzleloading rifles unless I resized them to .448 or .449 first.

The bullets my .45-70 unmentionable's shoots are .458 diameter. Ain't no way I could shove those down the bore of my .45 caliber muzzleloading rifles unless I resized them to .448 or .449 first.

Most of those are a fit at 451.

I have sized lighter shorter ones to 451 and shot in a TC 45 with success but the 1:48 twist is not slow enough for the bigger ones.

And then you might not have any grease grooves left... I’m shooting paper patched bullets sized to .451 in my repurposed .45-70 barrel. They work very well and load easily. In the .40 they’re sized .401 after patching. Bobby Hoyt lined that barrel for me.
@longcruise wrt your question, for deer and elk I would suggest .367/.375 caliber as a minimum and the bullet must exceed 300 grains with a powder charge of at minimum 60 grains... that’s equal to or greater than the power factor of one of the best of the last blackpowder cartridges chambered in the gun that won the west. The .40 is flat amazing to shoot, low recoil, even in a light 7-8# rifle, accurate enough for long range and the trajectory with 80 grains of 3f is very well suited to field use.

The .38-55 took a lot of medium game, and something I’ve considered trying to imitate in a muzzleloader for longer range, but I’ve also contemplated on up to .45-something where I’d feel nice and happy with a big bullet for big critters with the possibility of a sabot and a .40 cal for medium game.

@Woodnbow

Thanks for those comments. I had not given the smaller end of the caliber range much thought. Since the regulators seem to be stuck on 40 cal it might be good to stay with that minimum. There is an unknown point at which a proposal could be rejected due to it being too much for commissioners to wrap their minds around it.

My intent would be to simplify the regulations for the benefit of hunters and field personnel as well as to introduce the more specialized slug guns to the season(s). Not because im a slug gun shooter, but just because they are effective yet neglected.

This is great . Means I have 20 more years of making smoke. On the subject though. Are there any old lead bullets that work well in a fast twist rifle.

don't use up all of your lead! remember you only have so many shots. don't ask me how I know? just ask MOTHER NATURE!

Thank You stay healthy
Thank you I'm still trying to find out when this was made it said made in Italy all the new rifle has a letter D before the serial number the one i have is just the 166830 I don't know if i should sell it or trade it off. it just like brand new fired only 5 times at the range

Attachments

• aat-060_4.jpg
    aat-060_4.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 76
  • aat-060_6.jpg
    aat-060_6.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 81
Sounds like you have a Trade Rifle or Deerstalker with a 1:48” twist. The Great Plains Hunter or Rifle has much different twists.
You are right, I had both. The trade rifle was like the TC with a 1-48 twist. It would stabilize the maxi balls where the plains rifle wouldn’t.

I have a Remington model 700 black powder muzzleloader that i never fired thinking of using that one a sell the great plaines rifle. Thank You for the information. drpepper

Thank you I'm still trying to find out when this was made it said made in Italy all the new rifle has a letter D before the serial number the one i have is just the 166830 I don't know if i should sell it or trade it off. it just like brand new fired only 5 times at the range
Somewhere near the proof marks on the barrel, there will be a rectangular box with some letters in it. These letters are codes for the date the barrel was proof tested.
Here's table I borrowed from a Google picture site

1603043795915.png

Latest posts

Back