• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raider2000

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all.
I've may have a Lyman Trade Rifle .50 cal from Mid South coming my way & I was wondering what is everyone's opinion of this rifle?

Those that have one, has it been a good shooter for you with PRB?

I may be getting it in Flint but I really want this one to be Percussion & then get the GPR Kit in Flint so that it'd be a project & custom job.

I have the flintlock Cabela's version in .54 and it is a very good shooter. Nice wood on the stock too. They are made by Investarms and seem to be good guns.

I've never fired one, but have handled one in a store. Felt real good in the hands. Built nice and solid. I've heard nothing but good things about this rifle. I have two .54 GPRs, one percussion and one flint I built from a kit. The kit is real easy to build. I used boiled linseed oil on the stock, browned the metal and installed the primitive rear sight. You can tell it's a GPR, but not production. Best of all, it's a great shooter. I think you'll be happy with the Trade Rifle and the GPR flint kit. You already found the place that has the best prices on the net. Good luck and have fun :thumbsup: .

I have a Lyman Trade rifle in flint and in 54 cal and I can tell you it is a great shooter with wonder patch and good ole round ball.

I put the peep sights on this rifle then took them off because it shoots just as good with the sights it came with as it does with the expensive peeps.

At 50 yards I can put those 54 cal round balls wherever I want with amazing precision!

A great bargain this Trade Rifle.

I have one in .54. It shoots roundball great. Much better than any conical I have tried. Mine likes 90 grains of Goex 3f, .530 ball and pillow ticking patch.
I had to lap the bore a bit when it was new because it was cutting patches. After a mild lapping it was good to go.
My only complaint about it is that it is a cheek buster. There is not a lot of drop in the comb which equates to a bruised cheek for me when shooting heavy loads.
Take a look at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It will shoot roundball great right out of the box (after cleaning of course) and its much kinder on the cheek due to much more drop in the comb.

HD

My Son and I own two of them! We shot so well with the first one, he just wanted the exact same thing as Dad! Only difference is that we put a Lyman peep sight on the back of his. He didn't want to change the front sight at all, since he won a meat shoot with the standard wide blade that comes with it! That was 2-3 years ago, and both are still going strong!!

Yesterday, at one of the Clubs that we belong to, I won our local rifle match / novety shoot AND also won a turkey in another match that required a "shoot-off". Using the good 'ol Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 cal, with 70 grains of real 3Fg and a 370 grain TC Maxi-Ball. The 48-twist is good for both PRB's AND Maxi's!

Also use it with PRB's from time to time. Same 70 grains of 3Fg Goex, with a .018 pre-lubed pillow-ticking patch. It seems to love 70 grains...must be a "sweet-spot", cause it helps us win lots of competitions!

Sometimes it's not how much a rifle costs, but how often you shoot it to get to know it :wink: .

May you enjoy yours as much as we have enjoyed owning & shooting ours!! For the money, I think that it's the best caplock out there!

Dave
NRA Black Powder Rifle Expert
(Qualified with my Trade Rifle)

Raider,
I had a Trade Rifle, but couldnt do better than 4" at 50yds. I suspect that was more my fault than the rifle's. Patches looked okay, but after around 50 shots, trying different loads, it didnt improve, so I put it on the market. All shooting was with a PRB. It was a nice looking rifle with a figured piece of walnut, and I regret parting with it.

I have a GPR percussion in .54, and it shoots like a dream with PRB, easily printing 1.5" at 50yds. It shot 2" right out of the box, and I have been very happy with it.

Others have had much better luck with their Trade Rifle, so I wouldnt hesitate to get one. For sure, you will love the GPR.

I have a .54 Trade rifle in flint and it is a great rifle. It really shouldn't outshoot my custom built .45 with one of the major brand barrels but it does!

I had one in 50 caliber. It was a great gun. I used it as a loaner gun for years after I ventured off into flintlocks.

You'll love it.

Thank you all, I was already reassured by Lymans quality & reliability but you have affirmed my thoughts that this is what I want as my next muzzle loader.

Oh & trust me as soon as I save enough $$$ I fully intend to get me a GPR in Flint Lock to have as a winter project.

Mr. Raider2000,
Our .54cal flintlock version is a great shooter. We have used R.E.A.L.s (soft lead) to take numerous Moose and Caribou over the years. PRBs have provided many a meal of Hare, Grouse and Squirrel.
Best Wishes

Git yer Trade rifle! they are very nice guns...
and prepare yerself to git many more over the years,,,,diffrnt stlyes...calibers...etc...
Ye cant never have 'nuff black powder guns!
I been shootin em for 40 years now....it never gits old !

I have one in .50 cal. Love it. Very accurate with PRB. I use a .490 ball with Wally world pillow ticking patch lubed with moose milk.

Great rifle for the $'s.

I bought my trade rifle in '93 when I was 15. Grew up on a hog farm and worked for my dad's boss for 2 dollars an hour until I had the 250$ to buy it from Dixie Gun Works. First rifle for me other than .22. Shot a bunch of deer with it. It's been rebarreled with Green Mountain's replacement barrel and still going strong. Good accurate piece for a good price. Beautiful stock.

Latest posts

Back