• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LYMAN PLAINS RIFLE .54 1-60 TWIST

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANKS I'LL HAVE TO CHECK,BUT WALMART IS STOPPING SOME OF THEIR STORES FROM SELLING GUNS.I DON'T KNOW IF THE STORES IN NEW JERSEY ARE ON THE LIST.

DRAYMOND said:
MY PLAN WAS TO ONLY SHOOT ROUNDBALL.I LIKE THE CHALLENGE OF DOING SOMETHING NOT EVERYBODY DOES.

All I've ever used is a round ball for hunting. I have used both a .54 and .58 and both have done the job. Some people I know here have also used a .50 RB for elk and have done well. This year I will be using a .58 just because I want to take one with a flinter not because I need the extra weight.

THANKS-AT LEAST I NOW KNOW THAT SOMEONE ELSE IN WYOMING WILL BE OUT DOING WHAT I HOPE TO BE DOING SOON.I WANT TO BIULD MY CABIN OUT IN WYOMING IN THE NEXT 5 YRS. GOOD HUNTING BUT PLEASE SAVE ME SOME.

Great rifle and a lot of fun. Mine is 3 yrs old, hunted, shot it every season and between, great in every way.
:thumbsup:

I love my GPR. Bought a used one and learned alot, then put a hunter barrel on it to shoot conicals. If you want you can try mine to see if you like it. The Oldbridge rifle and pistol club is close to Parlin. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if your interested, or you can come to our clubs Blackpowder shoot the first sunday of the every month.

I love my GP in 50 cal. Last week I stumbled upon what I believe is the ultimate load for my gun. With this load, I put 5 shots into one ragged hole at 50 yards. I'd post a picture of it here but I don't know how to post photos to this site. Any way, the load used a Hornady .490 round ball and a little plastic sabot made by Hornady. I loaded 100 grains of 2f, the ball/sabo combination and used CCI caps. I could easily shoot five shots without wiping in between and no lube.

I know many will wonder about the safety of the sabo. Back in the 70s there used to be a little sabo called a polypatch. It had a nasty reputation for letting the ball slip foreword and creating an air gap between the charge and the ball. This would of course, bulge a barrel upon fireing. Well, I never experienced that myself and I shot a couple of hundred of them but still, enough reports came in to call the little things into question. All of that being said, the Hornady cups/sabos are not at all like the Polypatches. Hornady wads feature a split ball cup that has gripping nodes on the inside of the petals. once a ball is seated it stays that way. Further, Hornady says that with their .485 Hard Balls (these really are much harder than pure lead) one gets even better penetration and less deformation on bone making them even more effective on large game like Elk. Well, I'm not so sure I agree with all of that but I do know that with their standard .490 lead balls, this load combination really shoots well in my GP rifle.

I HAVE ONE IN 50 CAL LEFT HAND......I BELEIVE IT TO BE ONE OF THE BEST IVE FIRED....I HAVE VERY GOOD LUCK WITH 85GR. 777 245GR.POWER BELTS....I HAVE THE 1-32 TWIST HUNTER MODEL....IM SURE YOU WILL LIKE IT

I have an old Lyman, that was originally a .45. I never could get any decent accuracy out of it,tried everything short of those $1 a piece conicals,finally went and ordered a Green Mountain I.B.S. barrel in .54 cal, with a 1:60" twist as all I plan on shooting is roundball....Dead accurate,still in the process of sighting it in..right now it's shooting one hole groups with about 85 grains of Pyrodex RS,,,like I said deadly,,was hitting one of those big metal gongs at 250 yards the other day at the range,and the times I was missing were pretty close, if it was a deer I still would have hit it...needless to say I am very impressed....still in the process of playing with it...but I'm ecstatic....

Hey omgb, where did you get these ball sabots? That sounds like something fun to experiment with. I remember my father used those poly patches for a short time.

I bought mine directly from Hornady. They are the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned. FWIW, my Lyman whouldn't shoot for S*&% until I fire lapped it. Recently I ran a bore scope down it and man oh man, tool marks ahoy! Whom ever is making those Lyman barrels needs to sharpen their cutter. Chatter, gouges and lots of tracks. Bore lapping smoothed them out but still, if you can see it it can't be good.

Got mine for $340 + tax at a gun shop in Colorado Springs that was not going to carry them any more and had one left. Great gun--it's with me for the duration...

joliver

260yards? O my! how big is a drop at that distance?
I never shot at anything further than 120yards, 150 would make me think twice, but 260?
Oh, I did not see that you are from TX, I understand now.

"...260yards? O my! how big is a drop at that distance?"

Lets just say that it wouldn't be my first choice for deer hunting at that range....but for a gong? What the heck, I got a buddy that consistently shoots balloons out to 800yds just for thrills. (not with a muzzleloader)

Hey ya have to get your thrills where you find em. I love to play the rainbow game.

wal-mart inc. will stop selling guns in most of its "urban" stores where crime is a problem in the area. the "rural" stores in the country will not be effected. the stores in alaska will continue to sell hand guns also. this as per wal-marts corporate website. sorry, no link. you have to dig for the info. Dave :v

Back