• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great plains Signature series

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The write up on them is interesting. There may be some heart burn over the price compared to a Great Plains flintlock.

From the write up; "The wood to metal fit on these muzzleloaders is second to none, and a true bargain at these prices."

Lyman in the last several years has taken it on the chin about wood to metal fit.

I had not heard of these rifles before. I did a quick search, and the only place where I found anything (beside this thread on this forum) was at Muzzle-Loaders.com. They list the GPR Signature series in .50 and .54 caliber, flintlock or percussion, and finished or in kit form. Here is a link to the finished .50 caliber percussion: Lyman GPR Signature Series .50 Caliber Percussion

As noted by the OP, these rifles are described as a collaborative effort between Lyman and Pedersoli. FishDFly noted the comment about wood-to-metal fit, and we infer they take greater pains inletting these rifles as opposed to the standard GPRs. Maybe that is Pedersoli's contribution. I see the Signature rifle has a silver blade front sight, as opposed to steel on the standard series. The rear sight also looks different, reminiscent of the elevation-adjustable rear sights on the old CVA Mountain Rifles. The most significant difference between the Signature and the standard series, as near as I can tell, is that the Signature rifles have a 1:48" twist, "Engineered to accept both round balls and conical bullets." I think the standard GPR has a 1:60" twist, for patched round balls, while the Great Plains Hunter has a rate of 1:32", with "shallow grooves" specifically for heavy conicals. I didn't find anything about groove depth for the standard or signature rifles.

So, based on what little I could find, it appears the Signature Series GPRs have a "compromise twist" of 1:48", a silver-blade front sight, and possibly a different front sight and better inletting, at a cost that is nearly 50% more than and standard GPR.

I would be interested in hearing a report from the field.

Thanks for bringing these rifles to our attention!

Notchy Bob

The Lyman GPR has 8 thousandths groove depth, 1 in 60 twist, Lyman Trade Rifle has 8 thousandths 1 in 48 twist, GPHunter 4/5 thousandths 1 in 32 twist.
Pedersoli Signature is 1 in 48 twist and 5/6 thousandths. I researched the Lyman/Pedersoli joint deal a few months ago when talk was that Lyman was going to do a deal with Pedersoli for all the rifles and leave Investarms, from what I understand they are using the gun below as the format for the Signature Series.
I think going with Pedersoli (if they drop Investarms) will be a mistake for Lyman if the price goes to about $1,000 for a GPR, I purchased a Lyman Trade rifle a few months back and posted here about it, the gun fit and finish is very good, load work up took nothing to get done, with 65 grains of GOEX 3F and patched .530RB or 415g Minie in an 8 thou rifled gun shoots a clover leaf group at 100 yards.

If its based on the Traditional Hawken Im not interested but to me the lock looks more like the River/Mountain Hawken if that's the case and its comes in below the $1200 Pedersoli I would be interested in an $900 Lyman

Seems keeping the price down should take a bit more precedent in today's market. Traditional BP is taking a back seat to the simplified modern in-lines. I'd love to see the improvements without a big cost increase to keep the newer shooters at least interested in the traditional rifles. Nothing worse than cheaply made firearms with issues to newbs. Cheap in-lines are a dime a dozen. JMO

The Lyman GPR has 8 thousandths groove depth, 1 in 60 twist, Lyman Trade Rifle has 8 thousandths 1 in 48 twist, GPHunter 4/5 thousandths 1 in 32 twist. Pedersoli Signature is 1 in 48 twist and 5/6 thousandths. I researched the Lyman/Pedersoli joint deal a few months ago when talk was that Lyman was going to do a deal with Pedersoli for all the rifles and leave Investarms, from what I understand they are using the gun below as the format for the Signature Series.

Thank you, DBrevit, for the information concerning the rifling in these weapons. These data ought to be put in the item descriptions, so we don't have to hunt for the information.

I do think the price increase for these Signature Series GPRs is substantial. However, comments on this and other forums regarding the overall quality of the Lyman/Investarms GPRs in current production suggests there may have been some decline. $900 - $1000 is a lot of money, but even an entry-level custom gun will be double that amount. If the price increase correlates with a realistic improvement in quality, it may be worth it. There will always be used guns available at reduced cost for shooters on a budget.

Notchy Bob

Dixie is showing these as "in stock" for $950. Looks like a Pedersoli Rocky Mt Hawken but blued instead of browned and the wood doesnt look as nice

Hi guys. I have a GPR kit gun that another barely started [had the escutcheons in place] and quit. He had it for several years; I bought it and had it under my bed for three or four years, The pandemic gave me an excuse to start building. There was nearly nothing to do with the inletting, It is near perfect. However, there was a bunch of excess wood, especially on the buttstock. The area around the cheek rest required a lot of work but it left me to make it like I wanted ;) I think the older kits were much better from what I read. I built another years ago and the wood to metal finish was great. It was my go to deer and predator gun while on my small ranch in Idaho. Blessings. Polecat

Yes, excess wood on the GPR kit seems to be common lately. I have built 4 in the last two years and I had to take off wood around the barrel, butt plate and cheek. S

I took a good look at one of these GPR signature series rifles.

Some of the obvious things I noticed besides the price change are the sights both front and rear. Silver blade front, and rear is the same as Pedersoli uses on their Pedersoli Scout model.

The nose cap is different than the regular GPR. The signature series has more of an authentic look that you’d see on a Hawken rifle.

Bottom portion of the butt of the stock is nice and straight running up to the rear of the trigger guard. The regular GPR has sort of a fish belly in that area.

Yes, there’s some architectural differences between the two rifles.

The signature series is more inline to a true Hawken type rifle. They gotta do something with that rear sight though? Wouldn’t be a deal breaker if I wanted this rifle. Can easily be changed out.

Lastly and most importantly. Would I spend near 1K for one of these? I personally wouldn’t. Not knocking the rifle. Think for that kind of money I’d sit on it for a while and keep my eyes open. There’s good deals and opportunities out there if one will be patient.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I took a good look at one of these GPR signature series rifles.

Some of the obvious things I noticed besides the price change are the sights both front and rear. Silver blade front, and rear is the same as Pedersoli uses on their Pedersoli Scout model.

The nose cap is different than the regular GPR. The signature series has more of an authentic look that you’d see on a Hawken rifle.

Bottom portion of the butt of the stock is nice and straight running up to the rear of the trigger guard. The regular GPR has sort of a fish belly in that area.

Yes, there’s some architectural differences between the two rifles.

The signature series is more inline to a true Hawken type rifle. They gotta do something with that rear sight though? Wouldn’t be a deal breaker if I wanted this rifle. Can easily be changed out.

Lastly and most importantly. Would I spend near 1K for one of these? I personally wouldn’t. Not knocking the rifle. Think for that kind of money I’d sit on it for a while and keep my eyes open. There’s good deals and opportunities out there if one will be patient.

Respectfully, Cowboy
Thank you, Cowboy. That's the kind of information we need in comparing these rifles.

Notchy Bob

Yes, excess wood on the GPR kit seems to be common lately. I have built 4 in the last two years and I had to take off wood around the barrel, butt plate and cheek. S
I built a GPR probably 12 years ago. I had to do extensive work on the barrel channel, I also took the fishbelly out of the stock and had to rework the cheek piece because of it.

That European Walnut is some hard wood!
I also made my barrel keys captured.

I know this is old, but seeing a rifle for sale on GB that claims to be this model, but is not, reminded me of them. I have two of them, both finished rifles, not kits, in .50 cal percussion.
I have yet to fire them, but I cant imagine they would not be fine shooters.
They are quite different from the original GPR guns, I had a couple of those that I did shoot, one kit, and one complete, both good rifles.
As mentioned, these are much more accurate to an original Hawken rifle in most ways. Barrel is 1" and not 15/16ths as the early model is and the T/C Hawken as well.
It appears this new model is already out of production for some time I think. No idea how many are out there, but it must be considerably fewer than the early model of which there are always some for sale on the auction sites, close to a dozen on GB right now, and the new ones are rarely seen.
I paid retail for one shortly after they appeared, then found another on GB, new but no box and the seller must have been in bad need of cash as he offered it for about $500 and I couldn't pass it up.
IMG_4187.JPG

I know this is old, but seeing a rifle for sale on GB that claims to be this model, but is not, reminded me of them. I have two of them, both finished rifles, not kits, in .50 cal percussion.
I have yet to fire them, but I cant imagine they would not be fine shooters.
They are quite different from the original GPR guns, I had a couple of those that I did shoot, one kit, and one complete, both good rifles.
As mentioned, these are much more accurate to an original Hawken rifle in most ways. Barrel is 1" and not 15/16ths as the early model is and the T/C Hawken as well.
It appears this new model is already out of production for some time I think. No idea how many are out there, but it must be considerably fewer than the early model of which there are always some for sale on the auction sites, close to a dozen on GB right now, and the new ones are rarely seen.
I paid retail for one shortly after they appeared, then found another on GB, new but no box and the seller must have been in bad need of cash as he offered it for about $500 and I couldn't pass it up.
View attachment 300480

My understanding is that they offered this Signature Series for only about a year or so, at which time Lyman decided to get out of the BP business all together.

I ended up with a couple of them, myself. A .50 percussion and a .54 flintlock. Both were bought new retail. I picked up the .50 in Feb. of 2022 and I'm pretty sure that is about the time that Lyman ceased to offer them.

They are very nice rifles. Closer in style to Pedersoli's Rocky Mountain Hawken than the older Lyman Great Plains.

Like you, I still have yet to fire either of mine. Kind of sad to think I have had the .54 for about three years now, just sitting in the box for all this time. I really should do something about that!

Edit: I looked up that rifle on Gunbroker you were talking about - yeah, that is certainly NOT the Signature Series, and he's asking a few hundred bucks more for it than what the real Signature Series originally cost!

Last edited:
My understanding is that they offered this Signature Series for only about a year or so, at which time Lyman decided to get out of the BP business all together.

I ended up with a couple of them, myself. A .50 percussion and a .54 flintlock. Both were bought new retail. I picked up the .50 in Feb. of 2022 and I'm pretty sure that is about the time that Lyman ceased to offer them.

They are very nice rifles. Closer in style to Pedersoli's Rocky Mountain Hawken than the older Lyman Great Plains.

Like you, I still have yet to fire either of mine. Kind of sad to think I have had the .54 for about three years now, just sitting in the box for all this time. I really should do something about that!

Edit: I looked up that rifle on Gunbroker you were talking about - yeah, that is certainly NOT the Signature Series, and he's asking a few hundred bucks more for it than what the real Signature Series originally cost!
I let him know, but I see its still up on GB, no change.

Back