• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman great plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemoke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up A Lyman great plains 50cal. seller told me he bought it in the mid 80s gun looks like it was rarely used. what round ball for this gun a 490 or 495 a friend told me the paper work that came with his said 495

I'd start with .490 also. You can always go larger next time but if .495 is too large, you are stuck with them. Also you can always use a thicker patch with the .490.

I got a gpr used many years ago. the seller gave me some patches and .490 balls with it. he said it would not shoot. at 50 yd. 5" groups was the best. went to a .018 patch it went down to about 3" then a friend told me to try a .495. so with a .495 ball .018 patch 55gr. 3f it is a tack driver. won many matches with it.

The Owners Manual is on line, FREE, lots of great information, right from the MFG. FREE is good,and safer,,,

This is my experience with my 54gpr.and maybe it will help you with your 50gpr.Mic your barrel and go with as tight as you can safely push down the barrel. My 54 shot ok with a .530 and .018 patching but i was not satisfied as i thought 2" groups at 50yds could be improved on as that was the best i could get using 70gr. 3f. I switched to 90gr. of 2f and a .535 ball and it shoots sub 1" groups at 50 yds all day long and the trajectory holds out to 100yds. as well and i drop down to 50gr. for head shooting squirrels and it works well. I use a hickory rod to load mine and the .535 loads very easy.I use stumpys moose snot for lube. These guns seem to come alive on a hotter charge so some experimenting may be in order to find the sweet spot.
Good Luck and Good shooting.
Mike

I have been using .495 balls with .010 patches but after a few shots, even with a swabbing, they become VERY difficult to load. I have to pound on the ramrod to get the bullet fully seated. I'm going to try .490 balls next time, hopefully with better results.

Get a gun patch, lick it, run down the bore with a wiping stick, then follow with a dry one. No crud rings. No stuck balls. No wrecked ramrod. Consistent from shot to shot. Highly recommended to swab between shots!

Mine is a GPH so faster twist and shallower grooves (.510 instead of your .520)

I use a .490 ball and .010 lubed patches. That means the patches fill the grooves.

I can shoot 20 shots without swabbing. Tight setup takes a bit of push on the ramrod but the last shot is the same as the second.

Back