• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Barrel Swap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnWolf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Wisdom is sought! I currently have a Lyman GPR 50 with 1:60 twist barrel. I wouId like to shoot 54 cal conicals and noticed "Track of the Wolf" offers a 54 cal 1:32 twist barrel for the GPR. The barrel offered by Track of the Wolf is the same size as my 50. My question is, has anyone swapped using their barrel, and is it simple swap, or are modifications needed to the lock or elsewhere? Would be nice if it was just a simple swap so either caliber could be shot depending on whim ... without having to have two complete rifles. I should note both barrels are percussion.

Last edited:
??? Well they offer the GPR hunter?, a fast twist. I would call BOTH TOW and Lyman and ask. Worst case, order and return if not what you hoped for. TOW has been easy to deal with for years.

My question is, has anyone swapped using their barrel, and is it simple swap, or are modifications needed to the lock or elsewhere?

Fully interchangeable. As easy as taking off your current barrel and putting it back on. I have to sit and think a minute to figure out which barrel originally came on which stock with our several 50 and 54 cal GPRs, they move between our guns so much.

azmntman, thank for the response, but I just don't want to buy a second rifle if barrels could just be swapped.

Too bad I can't get a .58 barrel to swap out to.

Curious as Investarm/Lyman/Cabelas made a manure load of trade rifles/hawkens/plains rifles in .58 w/15/16" barrels. Even a few .62 shotguns. My .62 is a smoothie.

My .58 Lyman has done a bunch (100s) of hornady great plains 525gr at 90gr FFg it's still solid, but owch, like shooting a 3 or 3 1/2" 12 ga.

As was once upon a time pointed out to me by a muzzleloading barrels maker, deep groove barrels can shoot long bullets accurately.

[QUOTE="Mad Professor, post: 1527221, member: 3858"]Curious as Investarm/Lyman/Cabelas made a manure load of trade rifles/hawkens/plains rifles in .58 w/15/16" barrels. Even a few .62 shotguns. My .62 is a smoothie.

My .58 Lyman has done a bunch (100s) of hornady great plains 525gr at 90gr FFg it's still solid, but owch, like shooting a 3 or 3 1/2" 12 ga.[/QUOTE]
******INVESTARMS ITALY made barrels for their own brand plus lyman,cabelas,safari and a whack more under different trade names.....but they all sport the big I in a square and also the 2 letter date code in a square.... f.w.i.w.

Back