• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at buying a GPR in 50cal. Per.
Anyone have any dealings with this company.
Price is good, just curious of there CS.

Hinterland

Yes, Lyman customer service is excellent.

They don't make the GPR. The rifles are made in Italy by the company Investarms. Quality is solid. Styling is quite authentic. Accuracy after smoothing the bore through shooting can be excellent. You might like the .54 version as it is less barrel heavy.

I've had two GPRs and both were most excellent. Still have one. Beut.

20170617_140209-1.jpg

Another vote for the Lyman GPR. I have one in .54 cal and it is awesome.

I know that is not what you are asking though.

I have not had any dealings with their customer service.

Outstanding guns. Dunno where you are, but I'd give serious thought to a 54 rather than a 50. I own one of each, and extra ball mass aside, a little less steel in the barrel sure changes (and improves) the way the 54 balances in my book.

Most responders commented on Great Plains Rifles, if you were asking about Hinterland, I can't help you. I have no experience with them and haven't heard of them before, but that doesn't mean they aren't reputable.

As the others have said, the Lyman Great Plains Rifle is one of the better plains style rifles around.

I notice in the Hinterland link you posted, the picture of the rifle has target style sights on it.

Normally, the rifle does not have a hooded front sight or a peep sight. It has a simple blade front sight and either a non-adjustable or adjustable open leaf rear sight.
It usually has both of these rear sights with it with the adjustable sight installed.

The adjustable rear sight is a little "clunky" and most people replace it with the simple, non-adjustable leaf sight.

If you buy this rifle, remember, the bore will come protected with a very difficult to remove grease in it. Until all of the grease is removed, accuracy will be poor.
A good automotive disk brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner along with a few dozen cleaning patches will work wonders to remove the grease.

Also, the front sight blade is intentionally left tall.
That will cause all of your shots to hit very low on a target.

After trying several different patch thicknesses, ball sizes and powder charges to find the one that makes the smallest group on the target, file the top of the front blade down to raise the point of impact.

I know you will really enjoy the GPR so, my advice is, order it. :)

I'm pretty happy with mine and it's .50 caliber. Which is fine to my way of thinking. Is a .54 "better?" Maybe, if you're hunting moose. I'll go no higher than .50, though.

lyman cs is top end. I have a gpr in .50 it has served me well for all the years I have own it. the .50 has dropped every thing I have shot with it. I can see no need for a .54. I have shot ground hog deer and a bison with it. also won many off hand matches.

Hi,
The Lyman Great Plains rifle is a real hunter's rifle.
In .54 you up the ante in your favor for heavy game, you also make it a little easier to carry.
You can spend a lot more on a custom gun, for no real gain.
You can buy cheaper, but you will always regret not getting the Lyman, if you pass on it.
Like some of the fellows suggest make sure you rid the barrel of Lyman's tar that they bake into the barrel.
Then you will see the potential of a Lyman.
Good luck on your quest.
Fred

This talk about the .54 caliber being lighter than the .50 boils down to this.

The .54 caliber gun is about 1/3 pound (5 ounces) lighter.

That isn't much of a difference when you realize the GPR is a fairly heavy gun weighing in at about 9 1/4 pounds for the .50.

Zonie said:

That isn't much of a difference when you realize the GPR is a fairly heavy gun weighing in at about 9 1/4 pounds for the .50.

The distinction is that the extra 5 ounces is out in the barrel. Not a big deal at all in carry weight, but for me it has a very good affect on the balance of the rifle while shouldered. There's still plenty of weight in the 54 for good "hang" while sighting offhand, but the center of gravity is shifted back just enough to make a difference to me. Your mileage will most certainly vary.

I actually bought my Lyman From Hinterland about 5 years ago. I had no issues with them. At the time hey had a Left Hand they were trying to get rid of and I got a great deal on it. The $564 they are showing for a price is about going rate. There is one on Gunbroker right now that is used but unfired for a good price.

The item number is 717254194. If you put it in the search it should come up.

Zonie said:
This talk about the .54 caliber being lighter than the .50 boils down to this.

At my age every inch & ounce counts!
Fred

Well,
I order it today :grin:
Hope its a good one and arrives soon.
Guy said 2 days to process, so hoping it will be here by next Wednesday.

It has already shipped, UPS.
Scheduled delivery is Friday.
Weird thing though, company's address is Huston Texas and it shipped from Louisiana

Latest posts

Back