• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally did it.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80 grain of FFFg should be a good load for you. That barrel will burn up even heavier charges. Try to find both .490 and .495 round balls and then .015 and .020 thick patches. It is a pain to find the correct combination but often it will yield surprisng results of from bad to good.

My first flintlock was a GPR .54 cal , here’s what I remember from that experience..

First … Mine didn’t shoot reliably, so I drilled the touch hole out… problem solved.

Second … Look at your shot patches..the crown / rifling on mine cut the patches for the first few shots. However it was new at the time.. hopefully yours will be broke in.

Third… I never cared for the buckhorn sights.

Forth … mine liked heavier charges… 100 grn fffg with a .530 ball & .018 patch.

Fifth … I never liked the hooked butt plate…
Even shooting the gun off the bicep, that point on the toe just ate me up!

Other than that it was a great rifle that shot well..

Good Luck with yours & Welcome too the dark side..😎

Just done did the same thing. My advice is to go shooting with an old guy that’s been doing it for years, pay attention, and do what he does. In a short time you will have your own routine including the tools and things that work for you. Oh, never, never dwell on the cost of accessories………just push the send button 😁

Just done did the same thing. My advice is to go shooting with an old guy that’s been doing it for years, pay attention, and do what he does. In a short time you will have your own routine including the tools and things that work for you. Oh, never, never dwell on the cost of accessories………just push the send button 😁
That’s how I ended up with a tiny engraving hammer that cost $45.00 (plus shipping) 🥴

The end with the hole goes boom!

No, but I love mine! Recommend sighting yours in. I bought mine used and it wasn't the greatest. Had to file down the front sites a bit, and tap the rear sight over a bit after some tests at 50yd sitting.

Been pussyfootin around getting a flintlock. Today I finally took the plunge. Found a deal on a barely used Lyman GPR in 50. Any tips, or ideas on the must haves would be greatly appreciated.
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to how much powder you use compared to what’s recommended. Start out light taking a few shots with each powder load. Then work your way up until you get to a powder load you’re happy with and is accurate. You’ll be having tight groupings at 100 yards without a sore shoulder the next day in no time!

Everyone has different preferences when it comes to how much powder you use compared to what’s recommended. Start out light taking a few shots with each powder load. Then work your way up until you get to a powder load you’re happy with and is accurate. You’ll be having tight groupings at 100 yards without a sore shoulder the next day in no time!
👍

Latest posts

Back