• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to get the Hunter in .54 Cal with the shallow rifling and faster twist for hunting elk next Fall. Wondering where to start with bullet weight and shape, would prefer rolling my own. What about lubing the bullet as well....looking for weight and accuracy! Also looking to replace nipple with the larger musket caps!

Bud of mine has that combo, and it's really happy with the Hornady Great Plains bullet with a lubed felt wad under it. He got tired of buying and started casting his own using the Lyman Plains Bullet mold to produce a very similar slug. His Hunter is equally happy with that, but again with the lubed felt wad under it. For lube he's double-dipping them in LEE Liquid Alox lube. Produces a "dry" lube coating that makes the bullets easy to handle and store.

Great combo in that barrel. How do I know so much about it? Because I had that particular Hunter barrel before he talked me out of it.

Never measured them. They weigh 450 grains as I recall, while my 58 cals weigh a little over 500 as I recall. Length was very similar.

I have one in 54 and love it, shoots touching groups @ 50 yds with a Great Plains bullet and 90 grains of t7. Bullet weighs 425gr.

I get great accuracy in my GP Hunter using TC Maxi-Balls, with 100-110 grns of 2f, and a wad between the powder and the bullet. I tried several weights of Lee REAL bullets and they didn't group as good, same with the GP bullet.

Brown bear kindly put me onto that combo a few years ago. I'm so grateful because it is frickin deadly. Lyman great Plains bullet, wonder wad, 90gn FFFg wano or 100gn ffg wano. Two coats of Lee liquid alox.

Davis deerslayer triggers to take full advantage of it. Dead on at 100 metres it is only about 4-5 inches low at 150.

It is deadly on big game and the accuracy gives me a huge amount of confidence. I shot one down a springboks throat at 100m, heart shot a steenbok at 80 m. It is just a phenomenal combination.

Back