• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Deerstalker Flintlock - Longevity question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all - I am thinking about getting one of these in .50 cal. If well cared for, cleaned and oiled etc after every range day, and assuming about 50 shots a year through it...Can I assume that it will stay operable for decades or should I worry that the frizzen will need to be rehardened or something like that? This would be my first flinter.

Yeah, the sudden acceleration and bashing stops that parts are subjected to means that things break. Imagine how your car would hold up.
Having a custom flintlock made with quality parts doesn't mean it won't keep breaking. Been there done that.
Mass produced flintlocks are actually less likely to break due to the demands of higher levels established for quality assurance (not quality control) in manufacturing. That's just the way the world works and the way businesses prosper.

I have several Lymans and have found all of them to be very reliable. Being something mechanical, it is possible that a part will break SOME day but replacement parts are generally available. I say buy it and don't look back. The longer you wait the less fun you'll have.

Lyman has had some serious QC issues over the recent years.I heard though they have been gettin better though.

Hello all - I am thinking about getting one of these in .50 cal. If well cared for, cleaned and oiled etc after every range day, and assuming about 50 shots a year through it...Can I assume that it will stay operable for decades or should I worry that the frizzen will need to be rehardened or something like that? This would be my first flinter.

50 shots a year?
I put 50 shots thru mine every time I take it out which is often.
If you properly clean it afterwards, you won't wear it out shooting out 50 times a year.
It will be a gun your grandkids will argue over long after you're gone.

Just checked my email. I got one coming in 54. Oughta be here next week. It'll be my first flinter. We can compare notes.

I'm 76 so I guess it'll last a 'lifetime' even if I do try to wear it out..

FYI the cabelas hawken lock of yesteryear is identical to the lock you have on your deer stalker. If you can find an old Cabelas hawkin Stock with hardware it will all transfer will minimal effort. And you will wind up with a great shooter.

Just checked my email. I got one coming in 54. Oughta be here next week. It'll be my first flinter. We can compare notes.

I'm 76 so I guess it'll last a 'lifetime' even if I do try to wear it out..
You're gonna love that 54... and draw a lot of attention. Have fun for a long time!

a couple of years ago, i bought a cva lh fl hawkens in 50 cal that had surface rust in the bore. i cleaned it(hot water and soap) and i've shot about 400-500 times. it will last me a lifetime. the only thig bad about it, is the patches, .005 or .010" . when i go .010" it only shoots 3 or 4 times. when i go .005" , i don't bother to clean it until i'm done shooting.

Back