• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman deer stalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEPUTY346

Pilgrim
Reaction score
My 50 Cal Lyman deer stalker flintlock rifle seems to have an issue. The frizzen is rubbing against the barrell when I pull it down. Is this normal? The barrell is getting a nice score in it.

Check to see if the Screw, that holds the Lock in, isn`t too tight and drawing the Frizzen to close to the Barrel.

Check to see if the Screw, that holds the Lock in, isn`t too tight and drawing the Frizzen to close to the Barrel.
I agree, but make sure the pan and lock stays tight up against the barrel. Don't want any gap there to let priming powder dribble down between lock and barrel and into the stock. You can file the frizzen to relieve it, but again you want a tight fit there too, as any gap will allow rain-drops or drizzle to wet you priming sooner. Even without a gap, water can get in there, but why speed it up?

If the gun is sparking and firing good, you might want to just let it wear in, maybe open and close the pan a couple of hundred times while watching a movie. Drive the wife nutz.

If the interference is retarding the action of the frizzen, then I would relieve the frizzen in that area, but again, really really carefully lest you get a gap. In fact I would not use a file, put some emery paper down on a perfectly flat surface, and work the part over on it. Easy does it to say the least, to put it mildly...!!!!

I'm thinking after Muzzleloading season I'm going to send it in and have it adjusted. Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it sparks and fires okay. I don't know that you will get good results sending it in. That may be a type of hand fitting that they are not familiar with, good at, or would take the time to do. In fact they might just grind away and create one of them-there gaps I was talking about. Or they might replace the lock, with a lock that does not rub, but works worse than the one you have. !! If it is working well enough to take it hunting, put a little grinding or lapping compound on it, and again, watch a good movie and open and close the frizzen ten million times.

Back