• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just for grins and giggles has any one ever tried moly coating lead balls for a BP smoke pole? Might it increase the number of shots between swabbing the barrel? One other factor may be better or worse accuracy?
Now if Ya'll wanna laugh and poke fun just have a ball.

Do you mean a smoothbore or a rifled gun?

For a patched round ball rifle I don’t see how lubing the ball directly would be beneficial. For a patch lube, people use all kinds of things, but I prefer to avoid petroleum products with black powder and like the more traditional animal or plant based lubes. But who knows, it might work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for grins and giggles has any one ever tried moly coating lead balls for a BP smoke pole? Might it increase the number of shots between swabbing the barrel? One other factor may be better or worse accuracy?
Now if Ya'll wanna laugh and poke fun just have a ball.
I should have added by Moly I meant non traditional lube like Molybdenum Disulfide Dry Lubricant. My apologies for being out off period. I just wondered, I know it has a small following with modern day handloads.
Plus you are 100% correct BP off times will not work with man made untraditional lube.

Like Smokey Plainsman said, for a patched ball, the coating would do nothing. The patch is between the ball and the bore.

Loading a smoothbore with a coated unpatched ball would let the Moly contact the bore but because it is a "dry lube", it wouldn't do anything to soften or to reduce the amount of fouling that's left in the bore after firing. If the fouling isn't softened and there is still the same amount in the bore, swabbing the bore would still be needed.

What about putting this kind of coating on something like a Maxi ball or a REAL bullet? Anyone tried that?

NO! Being a gunsmith on primarily modern firearms I can tell you it WILL embed into the rifling and is a pain to flush/clean out after only about 10 or so rounds. It was all the rage about 20 years ago but because of that issue has pretty much dropped from favor. I can only imagine the mess one would have in a BP firearm. Save yourself!

NO! Being a gunsmith on primarily modern firearms I can tell you it WILL embed into the rifling and is a pain to flush/clean out after only about 10 or so rounds. It was all the rage about 20 years ago but because of that issue has pretty much dropped from favor. I can only imagine the mess one would have in a BP firearm. Save yourself!
Yes, moly has a strong adhesion to metal and is virtually unaffected by solvents. As a lubricant for muzzleloaders it's useless because maxi balls and REALs both are made of soft lead and the rifling is engraved at loading. Being a dry lubricant it does nothing to remove fouling.
Moly was just a passing fad.

Do you mean a smoothbore or a rifled gun?

For a patched round ball rifle I don’t see how lubing the ball directly would be beneficial. For a patch lube, people use all kinds of things, but I prefer to avoid petroleum products with black powder and like the more traditional animal or plant based lubes. But who knows, it might work?
I have some 60 year old Crisco vegetable shorting in my shooting box that is just right for lubing the patch!

Back