• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loyalist Arms Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglesnester

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Have purchased the transitional 1728 Brown Bess from Loyalist Arms. The barrel is 46 inches and the caliber is 76. Does anyone know what the thread size is on the bottom side of the steel ramrod?
Cheers: Eaglesnester
Are you sure you know how to skin grizz pilgrim?

I bought the first ones imported by Loyalist... I hired a gun bearer for it.

Threads I can't help with but I assure you you are best off investing in a metric thread gauge or call Blair to test one for you (but he won't be able to promise yours is the same for sure)...

I have the Loyalist Arms Brown Bess with the 1728 Dublin Castle unbridled lock and a wooden ramrod. The wooden rod has no threads.

I bought the iron ramrod and the entry thimble to make the transitional model. The replacement rod was intentionally long to allow for differences in production of the 46" long barrel.

I turned the rod down for a 10-32 male threaded end. I don't know what the factory rod is supplied with.

Soon as I get the piece in my grubbey little hands I will post a photo. Just put the order in and I understand it will take 3 to 4 weeks to go over the piece before he ships it. Ordered a 735 mold from track along with a 75 cal ball worm and cleaning button jag in 75 cal 10-32 threads. Also ordered a 3/8 inch 6 inch long brass rod to drill, and tap if necessary to fit on the threaded end of the bess cleaning rod. got some .010 cotton patch material for PRB. it shoots .735 RB so a .010 patch should take up .010 on both sides for a total take up in the bore of .755 which should be about right for a .760 caliber bore. What say all of U on this?

you should wait till u get it or call and have them mic the bore. it varies consderaly.

You could also ask Blair at loyalist to measure that for you, could be a money saver for you.
The good thing about buying from him, is everything he sells gets a going over from his gunsmith, and if you ever have an issue later you can't handle, they can.
Wouldn't it be great if all dealers did this?

When you have your ramrod in hand, take it to an ACE Hardware store or any hardware or auto parts store that sells bulk nuts & bolts. They will have thread pitch gauges, and you should be able to try a nut to find the proper thread pitch and diameter.

Did ask Blair about thread size and he said 10-22. Well I can not find a 10-22 tap or Die anywhere on the net. I can find 10/24 for sure but no 10/22, could I have miss heard him? after all I am 70 years old and my hearing ante what it once was because of all the gun fire I have been exposed to with no hearing protection both in the military and out of the military :confused: ?

ryan27 said:
You could also ask Blair at loyalist to measure that for you, could be a money saver for you.
The good thing about buying from him, is everything he sells gets a going over from his gunsmith, and if you ever have an issue later you can't handle, they can.
Wouldn't it be great if all dealers did this?

They are not gone over by a gunsmith they do not have.* They are inspected by basically a family member and any obvious malfunction they try to address before they ship as nothing, ever, gets returned to India of course...

Middlesex actually does a decent job of testing, taking down, and quickly tuning each lock before shipment. Been there for many hours in the shop as this went on. They and Loyalist do have a clue regarding this, but, time is money and there is only so much they will invest and can do with an India-made lock in any case... For example, if metal obviously needs to be removed, great, Chinese-made Dremel Tool to the rescue, but, there is no such thing as an interchangeable spare part around to be used to replace another... "Sorry - it's Made in India"!

* Their ACTUAL asscociated gunsmith has sent things back to me he sortof understandably couldn't fathom...

No experience with loyalists guns myself, but Blair claims that his Indian made guns are made a lot better than most others from that country, and are better than originals.

I would probably agree Loyalist's guns are above average India-made but most clear IMO is that Military Heritage's are SOOO bad -- really beyond belief, and totally useless customer service.

As for better than originals? I don't think I could agree but they certainly aren't better than any other country's products made today, none, and isn't that the real point.

Laughing at the statement ,I would own and use one of these guns after a good tidy up ,if I could get one at the right price here :)

eaglesnester said:
Did ask Blair about thread size and he said 10-22. Well I can not find a 10-22 tap or Die anywhere on the net. I can find 10/24 for sure but no 10/22, could I have miss heard him? after all I am 70 years old and my hearing ante what it once was because of all the gun fire I have been exposed to with no hearing protection both in the military and out of the military :confused: ?

As soon as you have the rod in hand, take a trip to any hardware store selling bulk nuts & bolts, and try a 10-24, 10-32, and maybe some metric.

Ike, I don't know about there, but here we have a strange phenomenon... People buy the cheapest, least expensive, thing available and then defend it like they are on trial for their life. Maybe their life is on trial which is why they do it... Buy a cheap gun, make up reasons why OTHER than price. It is especially common with $99 Soviet military surplus -- it inevitably (d)evolves into "the best" after it's bought.

I had a sister with a Saturn car (now out of business) -- the cheapest thing around until the Dodge Neon, she defined it as the highest quality hood (bonnet) to fender fit so they bought it. Sure! And India-made are the closest to originals...

One of three reasons India-made guns are purchased is that they are at least 1/2 the price of another option. The second of three reasons is that they are 1/3rd less expensive (until you factor in the tuning and failures) than the better imports.

anybody care to comment on the thread size on the end of the steel ramrod. 10/22 which I can not find on the net or is it 10/24 male threads?

Back