• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for BP pocket revolver advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering buying a new or used BP pocket revolver with no decision on if it should be a 1849 or Wells Fargo. Additionally, whether it should be a Pietta or Uberti. I have even thought that the Pietta 1863 spur triggered pocket Remington would be interesting but it appear that it is discontinued. I load my BP revolvers with a cylinder loading press. Any thoughts on which model and manufacturer would be preferable?

I am partial to the Colt 1849 Pocket .31 calibre!
I have 3 originals and a modern stainless facsimile (albeit in .36 calibre), all of which I regularly fire with light loads...

20221012_162748.jpg

I recommend you find an original for your collection 😉

I really like my Uberti 1862 Police Pocket Pistol. It’s fun to shoot and accurate after installing Slikshot nipples and adding a taller front post. I will eventually add an action shield on the hammer to keep debris and blowback from entering the interior frame. I did this modification on my Pietta 51 Navy and helps run things smoother and cleaner.
Here is a size comparison between the 62 Pocket Police and 60 Army.

062AEB91-CB64-4358-AAA9-B1FC53848C8F.jpeg

I really like my Uberti 1862 Police Pocket Pistol. It’s fun to shoot and accurate after installing Slikshot nipples and adding a taller front post. I will eventually add an action shield on the hammer to keep debris and blowback from entering the interior frame. I did this modification on my Pietta 51 Navy and helps run things smoother and cleaner.
Here is a size comparison between the 62 Pocket Police and 60 Army.

View attachment 168070

your modern facsimiles look nice

here are my own original Colt 1860 Army .44 calibre and my original Colt 1862 Police .36 calibre
Colt 1860 & Colt 1862.jpg

why would anyone volunteer to go into a ghetto and to top it off bring a C&B pistol?
If you don't live there, or work there, why go into a ghetto at all? And if you must, then understand that you should be carrying something you are competent with. That you should never have a doubt about using it. And that if the fit hits the shan and you live by shooting? You will be paying lawyers the rest of your life.
I sometimes wonder if you would be better off if you defended yourself with a knife or billy. Maybe a squirt gun filled with gasoline and the threat of a BIC lighter.

why would anyone volunteer to go into a ghetto and to top it off bring a C&B pistol?
I didn't hear anyone say anything about volunteering to go into a ghetto area, I was referencing someone entertaining the thought of, or actually carrying a C&B for the specific purpose of self defense, anywhere, anytime. I live 30 miles outside of Birmingham, in a rural farm area, and you don't have to go downtown to get accosted. The miscreants have finally realized that better pickings are in the suburbs and rural areas. All I can say is, if the SHTF, and grocery shelves are empty, you better buckle up buttercup, because even if your in a remote rural area one best be prepared because the bugs are coming your way. Over the past year, there have already been several rural home invasions and robberies at rural gas stations, as well as women being attacked.

I didn't hear anyone say anything about volunteering to go into a ghetto area, I was referencing someone entertaining the thought of, or actually carrying a C&B for the specific purpose of self defense, anywhere, anytime. I live 30 miles outside of Birmingham, in a rural farm area, and you don't have to go downtown to get accosted. The miscreants have finally realized that better pickings are in the suburbs and rural areas. All I can say is, if the SHTF, and grocery shelves are empty, you better buckle up buttercup, because even if your in a remote rural area one best be prepared because the bugs are coming your way. Over the past year, there have already been several rural home invasions and robberies at rural gas stations, as well as women being attacked.
It is a known fact that in the event of a breakdown of society , urban areas will have millions of people fleeing out into the countryside and will be willing to kill you , to take your stuff

Also, I live right off a major highway and small, rural stores get robbed because these savages know there's probably a 60 year old lady by herself in the store, they can hit it and be on the interstate in 5 minutes

Might as well face it fellas, the old smoke shakers served a purpose in there days, like when the other fella was a shooting the same type weapon at ya, history is great and romantic, but them days are long over, sure the old cappers are fun to shoot but I sure as he%% would not bet my life on one now of days, . 😉

If it’s what you’re carrying, use the cap gun to fight your way to your carbine, then use your carbine to fight your way to your friends and their rifles… ;)

if'n I wanted to go real old school we have a small sword and an arming sword in the house, but I am pretty sure the law would be more upset with me over a sword killed bad guy, than it would be to one that got shot

now I wish I could talk my other half into letting me get a modern pistol, but I must limit my pistols to cap and ball, and long guns can only be single shot weapons, modern allowed
but I am pretty sure of myself with my archaic weaponry, six shot revolvers and a .410 Sears Roebuck single shot are what I am working with, so it what will get used should that dreadful day arise

now if I had warning I would load up the blunderbuss with buck and ball, that'd knock a perp on his ass and he wouldn't get back up

None of that Josey Wales stuff. I want to be able to engage multiple targets in a second and a half. Not one target every second and a half.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back