• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What would be some good books on gun building for a beginner to read? Maybe some on varrious styles as well.
Thanks, Mike

"The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" by Dixon, Miller and Ehrig is a good reasonably priced book that uses text and drawings to give a good understanding of what is involved.

"THOUGHTS ON THE KENTUCKY RIFLE IN ITS GOLDEN AGE" by Kindig is an older book that shows many fine rifles.

"RIFLES OF COLONIAL AMERICA" Vol I & II by G. Shumway is an excellent source of information about many of the Pennsylvania Rifles.

"KENTUCKY RIFLES & PISTOLS 1750-1850" Published by GOLDEN AGE ARMS COMPANY & James R Johnston is another good source.

These latter reference books are quite expensive but many library's will have them in their "Reference" section. Often they cannot be checked out but often you can study them and make photocopies of interesting photos and text.

Try:

Recreating the American Longrifle by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander, published by George Shumway

The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Peter Alexander (New version out some time soon), published by Scurlock Publishing.

fm tim said:
Try:

The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Peter Alexander (New version out some time soon), published by Scurlock Publishing.

Do you have insider information? Inquiring minds want to know. Used copies are available, for several C-notes.

Regards,
Mike

FlyGuy,

Yes that is true, Alexander is in the process of updating his book with corrections, and new material. I'll have to look for the information, bit I will and also post it here. Furthermore, Shumway is taking names for it. I'm sure they will send a notice for folks to pre-order to those that sign up.

More to follow.

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chroniclesâ„¢

Recreating the American Longrifle by William Buchelle, George Shumway, and Peter Alexander is a must have.

I have been particularly pleased with Journal of Historical Armsmaking Volumes I-V. Expensive to aquire, but worth every bit of it if you're into doing it all by hand.

I am waiting on the updated reprinting of Gunsmith's of Grenville County for my library. Probably get several copies as an investment... :wink:

Don't forget that you can copy and paste tons of materials from the Web and build up your own reference library! For instance I am very interested in locks (I'm a better metal worker than woodworker) so I collect everything I find on locks.

Good luck and keep searching!

Best Regards,
Albert “Matamoro" Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chroniclesâ„¢

Gunsmithing Tips & Projects has lots of reprints of old Rifle magazine articles and there are several from John Bivins on longrifles and a host of other authors. I would highly recommend it.

You might also look for a booklet called the Modern Kentucky Rifle that was written back in the early 1960's. A lot of the material in it is dated, but it does give a nice breakdown of the steps used to put a longrifle together from a blank and it was written at a time when parts were hard to find so the author shows you how to make many of them. The style of the rifle they build is not the best (keep in mind the period that this book was written) but it is one of the early manuals on the subject and got a lot of folks interested in the hobby.

Latest posts

Back