• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a ramrod for .32 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the rod and the jag went in 4 inches and stopped there is a problem. Either the barrel is very dirty at that point or there is something wrong with the bore. A 5/16 rod will easily fit in my barrel but it can't have a lot of crud built up. Since I normally wipe after each shot, that's not a problem. A factory jag should have no problems, but depending on the actual bore size, you'll have to experiment with different thicknesses of patch. A small bore is less forgiving than a larger one when it comes to patch thickness, jag diameter and amounts of fouling.

Measure the rod at different points for unifomity and any dings or burrs. It wouldn't take much for it to hang up. Pretty close tolerances here.

Eugene Nine said:
I bought a 5/16" rod after the first one and it would only go in about 4", i don't know if my rifling is larger than normal or what, so I had to go to 1/4".
all the .32 caliber accessories I bought would get stuck about 4" in as well. Father has a lathe but in a different state so I chucked the tips in my drill press and 'turned' them down with a file
That will work until I can order some different tipss.

Is the barrel possibly coned? Have you looked down the bore with a good bore light?
Does the new smaller rod do a good job of cleaning?

Thats the only thing I could think of. the gunsmith said it is for sure .32 caliber and it shot the 32 caliber (.310) balls fine.

Not to belabor the obvious, but what are you using for patch lube ?

I onct ran across a fella with your problem that was trying to ram home a patched RB with an unlubed patch............... :doh:

A ball and patch go in fine, I bought pre-lubed patches. I had to use a .22 cleaning rod to push the ball and patch down because the 5/16" ramrod wouldn't go in. The ramrod even by its self won't go in even if I'm not trying to load a ball and patch.

Eugene Nine said:
A ball and patch go in fine, I bought pre-lubed patches. I had to use a .22 cleaning rod to push the ball and patch down because the 5/16" ramrod wouldn't go in. The ramrod even by its self won't go in even if I'm not trying to load a ball and patch.

You need to take a good look down that bore with a bright bore light.

Eugene Nine said:
I bought a 5/16" rod after the first one and it would only go in about 4", i don't know if my rifling is larger than normal or what, so I had to go to 1/4".
all the .32 caliber accessories I bought would get stuck about 4" in as well. Father has a lathe but in a different state so I chucked the tips in my drill press and 'turned' them down with a file
That will work until I can order some different tipss.

IMHO you don't have a RR problem, you have a bore problem - that tight spot bears further investigation.

What rifle do you have and what ramrod did you buy?
I have a CVA squirrel thats the same way. I got a 5/16 aftermarket rod and .32 jag when I was at Dixon's and it wont go but about 4 inches also. I havent had a chance to take measurements on the rod or jag yet to see what they actually are. Guess I need to do that when I get home tomorrow :hmm:

I buy my rods unfinished and cut them to length, add a tip and taper them so they fit under the barrel. I've had to taper most every rod I have. Only then do I stain and finish them. Try tapering the rod; you should be able to get it to fit.

HFD60 said:
What rifle do you have and what ramrod did you buy?
I have a CVA squirrel thats the same way. I got a 5/16 aftermarket rod and .32 jag when I was at Dixon's and it wont go but about 4 inches also. I havent had a chance to take measurements on the rod or jag yet to see what they actually are. Guess I need to do that when I get home tomorrow :hmm:

As stated with the other situation, that is not a rod problem, it is a bore problem and needs to be addressed before continuing to use the rifle.

Most of my 32cal. ramrods are 9/32, for the very reason you have a problem. I also turn the brass ends on them as well, if I don't buy the in 9/32. It works well for me.

Latest posts

Back