• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a part - Ethan Allen target pistol by "Hoppe's"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hammer mainspring just broke and I'm having trouble locating a replacement.

Can anyone give me a lead?

Here's what it looks like.
EthanAllen.jpg

Best Regards,
Skillet

First, I'm moving this to the Gun Builders Bench as it really deals with repair rather than shooting your pistol.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but unless you find another pistol like yours or make your own new spring your out of luck.
The pistol was sold by Dixie back in the 1980s but Hoppe's stopped building them after that.

You can not use just any steel to make your spring, it must be a high carbon steel spring stock.

The original spring is .075 thick but this thickness doesn't seem to be available from the suppliers we gun builders commonly use.
Dixie gunworks has some 1/16 (.062) inch spring stock that would work. This 1/16 thick stock won't have quite as much power as the original spring did. They also have some 3/32 (.093) stock that would give greater power than the original spring but that would produce a much higher load on the sear which could damage it.
Here is a link to Dixies material. While your there, I would suggest that you buy one of each thickness.
DIXIE SPRING STOCK
The material is 1 inch wide X 12 inches long which should be enough to make several springs out of sense the finished spring will be about 4 1/2 inches long X 1/4 inch wide.

Cutting this material can be done with a hack saw but you may go thru several hack saw blades before your done.
You may also have to anneal the material to bend it but a propane torch and a small box of sand will do the job.

After bending the spring you will have to re-harden it and temper it but we can help you with that task if and when you decide to fix the gun.

zonie :)

PS, I posted a link describing how to get this gun to fire reliably some time back.
Here is a link to the post
HOPPE'S PISTOL FIX

Yes, I've read the posting in the archives (that's where this pic came from). I'd already opened the flame-port some years back as it misfired with amazing consistency before!

I called Deer-Creek this morning and they claim to have never
carried the Hoppe's/Ethan Allen guns, so I'm still searching.

Shame too as I've worked up a decent-shooting load for it.

I'll look into getting some spring steel if the hunt for a replacement spring doesn't produce.

Skillet

So THAT'S why that gun looked so familiar to me! And here I was thinking, "That guy doesn't take pictures any better than I can!" :rotf:

Have you tried Numrich gun parts? They have a pretty good assortment of old parts.

I have one and I'd have to say it is a pretty poor design in several respects and I very much doubt that you'll find any parts. It never was a big seller and has been off the market now for thirty years. You certainly don't want a replacement spring to be any lighter than the original because that is marginal at best. The Dixie spring stock is sold in an annealed state, very soft and easy to work. Get everything, length, bends and all "just right" before hardening and don't be tempted to test it after hardening, it will be very brittle. The easiest way I have found to temper the hard spring steel is by dunking in a pot of molten lead. Get the lead just molten, no hotter, dunk the spring and stir for maybe 30 seconds to one minute. When you no longer see lead solidified on the steel it is up to temp. Remove the spring and let cool slowly. Good luck!

I thought that picture looked pretty decent, that's why I "borrowed" it!

BTW, I found a couple of mainsprings in my box of spares that I might be able to cut down to size with a dremel and cutting wheel.

'That don't work and I'll get some steel from Dixie... their prices are pretty reasonable and I'll try two thicknesses to be sure I get some good springs.

Skillet

Interestingly enough, that pistol is just about an exact reproduction of the "Allen & Thurber Sidehammer Target Pistol" shown in "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms".

Says the text:
"Single Shot Sidehammer Target Pistol made by Allen & Thurber. An improved type over previous single shot Allen pistols. Made c. late 1840s into the 1850s. Total production estimated at a few hundred.
Calibers 34, 41 and 45. Barrels part round, part octagon and vary in length from about 6" to 10"...
Wooden ramrod beneath the barrel. Rear sight mounted near breech of barrel and extending back behind hammer (where engages adjustment screw).
Trigger guard with or without spur (earlier type lacks spur and has single grip screw)..."

The picture clearly shows the exposed threads where the round barrel is screwed into the cast octagon portion of the barrel frame.

Call Hoppes and ask if they have any parts.

I bought the same pistol back in the 1980s when Numrich Arms was discounting them for $40. The design has a great many flaws but when they shoot they are tack drivers. Anyway during one of my frequent dissassembly and cleaning sessions I lost the main spring. The gun sat idle and in parts for several years and then one day about ten years ago out of frustration I called Hoppes (who I think was in Pennsylvania). At that time the gun had been out of production for about 15 years. The women that I spoke to remembered the gun and told me that they still had some parts. Anyway she sent me the mainspring -- for no charge. I know this was ten years ago but call it can't hurt.

Back