• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractorkid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys I have only been a member for a short time here. I find myself being unable to stop reading all the posts on this forum because I am learning so much. So I have a couple questions for you rifle builders. Is there a place I can get a .72 caliber rifled barrel to build a rifle with?? For some reason I am wanting a .72 cal if I can get a barrel and I plan on building it in the near future here so any ideas would be great. Thanks!

here ya go give these people a call they are good people to deal with.
bernie :grin: [url] http://www.thegunworks.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Orion Barrel Company used to make them (I think) as I have one here somewhere that is a .72 or a .75 cal that I am going to put in a Jaeger some day.

Call Ed Rayl, he will make about anything you would want.
Phone#: 304-364-8269

Olie

Try BigIron Barrel Works in Ohio, they do a whole bunch of barrel, & other, work on blackpowder guns only (repro. & antique). Good guys, check out their website (bigironbarrelworks.com) & get in touch with Thomas.

Thanks for the help everybody. I admit I have much to learn yet. I looked at one site which would make up to a 2 bore rifled barrel. Now this will be admitting my lack of knowledge here but just how big is a 2 bore as far as diameter wise? I think a 12 gauge is around .690 or somewhere abouts isn't it. A 2 bore has to be just massive.

2 bore is over an inch in diameter. Yow! After seeing Steve's pics of a guy firing a 4 bore, a 2 bore is just frightening to think about.

If I'm not mistaken , the ball for a 2 bore would weigh a half a pound :shocked2: . I wouldn't want to be on either end of that rifle when it went off :youcrazy: .

Ed Rayl built my 75 cal rifle barrel. Long wait but a great product at a very reasonable price. GC

A 4 bore shoots a ball a little over 1" in dia.
The one I fired used a ball 1.042 dia and a denium patch.

Regards, Dave

You gonna use this for hunting or shooting?
I wouldnt want to shoot that for a day at the range or let alone drag it around in the woods, but you want what you want eh.
I would settle for a .62 cal theres plenty of those around.

Cherokee
LOL
The one I fired was a wall gun made by Vern Davis. It weighed 29lbs.

DSC00367.jpg

Regards, Dave

I don't think that I could take shooting something that big at a range all day. However I was going to use it for hunting. Mostly whitetails and I figured that I wouldn't mind having a 72 cal I have a couple 50s right now but for some reason I want to try a bigger one.

I did some looking around at different places and I think I just may have a 72 cal made this winter. But I do have a couple questions. I would most likely be using patched roundballs the most. I was thinking to have around a 1 in 70 twist, how does that sound to you guys?? And do you guys have any recommendations as far as depth for rifling?? Any suggestions would be great Thanks Guys

Back