• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lookie at what I got! Questions!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy, y'all. This past weekend my husband bought me the very thing every gal dreams of owning...my very own .50 TC Hawken! YEE HAW! (He might have been feeling a bit guilty cause he bought himself an ugly ol' Thompson Contender...pitoooey! - but thats alright...I absolutely LOVE my Hawken!)

Now I grew up with military rifles so I realize I have a whole lotta educating myself to do...thats where y'all come in. I have read many posts in this forum and I see lots and lots of wonderful technical advice and I'm sure I'll get to the point where I'm asking that, too. But for now, I need general information...such as...

What can any of you tell me about my Hawken from this photo?

Model? Year? Anything? Whats the story on the brass? And double triggers? Can I assume its from a kit if the serial number starts with "K"? Can you recommened a good book on Hawkens?

Thanks so much for your patience with a Blackpowder newbie. I have always dreamt of owning this part of our history.

100_1611.jpg

100_1610.jpg

That uglu old Hawken doesn't look safe to shoot. Send it to me as I have an ugly rifle disposal bin.

Seriously, congratulations on your rifle. You might contact T.C. for information on when the gun was made. As a percossionary measure you might want to have a blackpowder gunsmith or a fellow shooter who is knowledgable to look it over before you shoot it. I'm not saying anything is wrong just check it for safety sake. I'm assuming your husband wants to celebrate your 48th birthday with you. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Thanks for the chuckle -this gun ain't goin' NOWHERE!

(and hey, :hmm: come to think of it -my husband DID up my insurance policy right after he bought me this ol gal! Whar's mah skinnin' knives!?!?!?)

Seriously, I do plan on having her checked out soon by my local gunsmith/blackpowder enthusiast just to make sure she's good to go. And thanks for the recommendation to check with the manufacturer. I'll check into that.

Weclome to BP shooting. I have a TC Hawkins also, the double set tigger: the back tigger is the "set" tigger. The front tigger is the main tigger. By pulling the set tigger the main tigger becomes light/hair tigger just a touch will set it off. Some people find this useful for target shooting. You can bypass the set tigger and just use the main tigger if you so desire.

The "K" would indicate that it was built from a kit. Whoever made it did a good job. He or she took the time to reshape the lock panel and make it smaller. T/C can send you a handbook, and these guns can use a pretty stiff load without risk to life and limb. Congratulations on your new rifle.

Thanks again! This was certainly the place to come for answers! I contacted TCA and ordered manuals for both our Thompson's.

Muchas Gracias!

and don't send me to no more sites with no more perty flintlocks and muzzleloaders! A gal could lose all self-control!

We Gotcha Now! Welcome! yer gonna love this place! and just wait'll ya see all the purdy flinters these guys build! I see a FLA card in yer future! (and I love the name!) :hatsoff: RC

You sure picked a great gun to start on. The T/C's are very sweet shooters. From punching paper with light loads that hardly kick, to heavy game thumper loads, they shoot very well. Best of luck to you, and enjoy! :)

You will probably be disappointed to find that years ago, TC had a fire that distroyed most of their records so it is unlikely that they (or anyone else) will be able to tell you when your guns parts were built.

As for when it was actually "put together" it's anybodys guess.
Several years ago, I bought a TC Hawken kit, still in the box with the original bill of sale.
Someone bought it in 1978 and never did anything at all to it beyond opening up the box to look at the parts and stick the bill of sale inside.

Generally speaking, there isn't much that can go wrong with the TCs and unless it is showing serious rust in the bore it should be safe to shoot.
Because it is a Kit, I don't think TC warrents the stock but all of the other parts have a unlimited warrenty. If you have any problem at all with it, call TC. They will tell you how to ship it (or the part) back to them and they will replace it absolutly free! :)

From the look of your rifle, whoever put it together did a very good job! :)

Zonie :)

PS: Welcome to the Forum! :)

It looks very similar to one I built from a kit in the mid 70's. Davy cleaned those pics up nice. Very pretty rifle.

Too bad my lazy ex-brother in law won't email me pics of a kit TC gun I redid for him with a beautiful curley maple stock, iron furniture, soldered iron thimbles, fixed rear sight and German silver front blade. It's a classic.

Welcome to the best forum you could have found. As for your rifle, if it is a kit, maybe the builder put a name or a date under the buttplate, or under an inconspicuous spot. I used to do it with old refinishes on my military guns.Just a thought. But welcome again, and happy shootin'!

Wind,

Welcome to the camp. I'm sure you will enjoy your TC Hawken. You may gain some info on it from an old post about TC firearms. Use the forum search engine to find a post titled "?TC ID"

"Roundball" was the author.

GW :grin:

Beautiful rifles both Davy and Wind...
I have the same gun that my father built from a kit, and it's loads of fun to shoot!

The stock of mine however was never stained and/or finished, what is the best way and product(s) to use in order to get that beautiful deep wood grain finish?

Thanks! :hatsoff:

welcome, congrats on your hawken. have one myself. this hobbie is addicting so watch out :winking: good luck with your new rifle. chopper

Okay, so I won't tweak y'all with any more pretty custom guns. I'll just send along a few helpful starter info sites to get you going.
[url] http://www.muzzleblasts.com/[/url]
[url] http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/[/url]
[url] http://members.aol.com/illinewek/faqs.htm[/url]

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Back