• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Log Cabin Shop website

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to buy from vendors that are in Ohio whenever possible. Stumbled upon the Log Cabin Shop awhile back and set up a log in to website. I haven't been able to actually purchase anything online though. I called in my only order so far. It is easier to be able to order online. I saw a message that Javascript needs to be enabled which I have double checked that Firefox has Javascript "on". Any one able to use website or have any ideas on solution? Have same problem with Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers. I didn't explain the problem which is if I add something to cart a box pops up with an "error message" and several lines of words. Also when trying to check out the drop down menu to select state doesn't work. I mentioned the problem when calling in the order but got no solution.
I have used The Log Cabin website. Perhaps those with problems should check there computers. The problems could be with your systems.

I have used The Log Cabin website. Perhaps those with problems should check there computers. The problems could be with your systems.
When the problem is as widespread as this one is, with the obvious symptoms it's displaying, has occurred rather suddenly to a number of users (some of whom are technically adept enough to grasp the likely source of the problem), and does not appear on other sites they use, then it's not with their systems.

This may never be possible for you to accomplish,but if youever get to N West Ohio,plan a few hours to stop at The Log Cabin M/L Shop. The amount of stuff they have well displayed is well worth the time. Take some $$$'s with you as well. Just as in most of these type M/L shops,I guarantee there willbe items that must go home w/you. They are calling your name. When traveling East / West in the camper , their parking lot is a very good place to rest up for a mission to explore their store , next morning. I'm experienced at it. What a blessing it was, to break up a six hour , one way , business trip , between Cleveland and Central Pa. , with a stop at the Log Cabin. Go there if you can.......oldwood

No, their site has always been horrible, and on mobile, it is way worse.

Is a bad design to begin with. I have a number of websites. My biggest is a 532 page Roman site www.romanobritain.org . Mobile friendly, but not a data base site (that means the pages and info are not stored in a database and then spit out into a template(s). Those pages use php and css along with about 20 different templates.

I also own www.reenactor.Net which has a lot of unit links in a database -- this site is almost done with a major rework to be mobile-friendly. Part of the problem in this site is that the unit links change constantly. I went to a "content management system" in 2009 to make it easier to yep track of things -- it didn't. It's a lot of work. Big vendors like Track, Dixie and Log Cabin have a database site -- if you can't fix it and don't do your own work, etc., you're S.O.L. and it's crazy expensive to pay for what, on most cases is not that hard.

Just a thought on why Log Cabin is messed up: I've said for years that I is horrible. Their designer screwed up the mobile-friendly part also. Now some old crusty old timer (older them me) will say "who needs that?" Everyone because the vast majority of the look on their phones -- I'm on mine writing this right now. Google penalizes you in search ranking for things like that. Again very important if you have a website for people to find you.

There's my .2 cents on this subject. Just call them and tell them.

What's your experience in maintaining a commercial ecommerce web site? And what were your expenses in doing that?
Yes partner, I do. I do my own work, along with a friend who helps me with the hard parts. I do know something about this. I posted above about a couple of my sites. Unless you're rich, you better learn some stuff.

[an edit note: I'm not trying to be rude or snarky about this. There are already way too many snarky or smart-ass replies here and on the 'Net. It's like guys who don't know the post office going on and on. Anyway, maybe this still help explain things better.]

Yes partner, I do. I do my own work, along with a friend who helps me with the hard parts. I do know something about this. I posted above about a couple of my sites.
Your sites aren't remotely comparable to a commercial ecommerce site like The Log Cabin. You should know that, but clearly you don't.

sturmkatze said:
Unless you're rich, you better learn some stuff.

Me: Over 20 years in industry developing multiple web sites for large pharmaceutical companies (and that wasn't even my primary job), and for community organizations. Wife has about 25 years doing the same for national banks, pharma companies, state agencies and research organizations, and point of sale software for international computer companies.

Not sure what more "stuff" you'd like me to learn. But thanks for playing.

Your sites aren't remotely comparable to a commercial ecommerce site like The Log Cabin. You should know that, but clearly you don't.

Me: Over 20 years in industry developing multiple web sites for large pharmaceutical companies (and that wasn't even my primary job), and for community organizations. Wife has about 25 years doing the same for national banks, pharma companies, state agencies and research organizations, and point of sale software for international computer companies.

Not sure what more "stuff" you'd like me to learn. But thanks for playing.
I never said they still did, I don't sell stuff, but surely know that they work. And, mine does Mobile without Java or Javascript... Well, the nazis reenactor.Net will be -- fed one still has it. Log cabin's site is a poorly done data base website and it sucks. Their site is junk and whomever made it should be ashamed. And, it doesn't do mobile either, with a ****.

I'm guessing that you're all about Java and Javascript, right? I don't know I respond to this. My sites pay for themselves and do okay. And, I don't have to pay incompetents or the sib continent.

I never said they still did, I don't sell stuff, but surely know that they work. And, mine does Mobile without Java or Javascript... Well, the nazis reenactor.Net will be -- fed one still has it. Log cabin's site is a poorly done data base website and it sucks. Their site is junk and whomever made it should be ashamed. And, it doesn't do mobile either, with a Cranberries.

I'm guessing that you're all about Java and Javascript, right? I don't know I respond to this. My sites pay for themselves and do okay. And, I don't have to pay incompetents or the sib continent.
You make no sense at all and really expose your own ignorance about this with every posting. And I have no idea how the Nazis got into this. You get real incoherent right about there.

But at this point I'm imposing the well known "Never wrestle with a pig" principle. ...

I like to buy from vendors that are in Ohio whenever possible. Stumbled upon the Log Cabin Shop awhile back and set up a log in to website. I haven't been able to actually purchase anything online though. I called in my only order so far. It is easier to be able to order online. I saw a message that Javascript needs to be enabled which I have double checked that Firefox has Javascript "on". Any one able to use website or have any ideas on solution? Have same problem with Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers. I didn't explain the problem which is if I add something to cart a box pops up with an "error message" and several lines of words. Also when trying to check out the drop down menu to select state doesn't work. I mentioned the problem when calling in the order but got no solution.
I have purchased from Log Cabin Shop a few times, they are great folk and always helpful. However I have only ordered over the phone from them.

On FireFox; I have Java installed but for security reasons I turn it OFF on my browser (I refuse to use Edge or IE...I dont even like Chrome). I have extensive computer training; MCSE, MCSA, MCP, and a stack of of other certs on a variety of platforms...all from and for jobs I have had.
With all that said; you description sounds like:
1) Their site certificate could be outdated. That only they can fix.
2) Your Firefox and or Java might be outdated.
3) A combination of above and one or more of your installed security app(s) or settings.

I will take a look at their site with my system and see it it errors (updated Forefox and Java but my Java is Disabled in Firefox)

Okay, I am back...
Sorry, friend, but it looks from here that the trouble is with Your browser and/or security settings.
I was able to load a cart, view the cart and proceed to checkout (i did not complete the purchase as i dont need anything right now).

I would suggest updating FireFox, also a Java update just came out a couple days ago.

I have purchased from Log Cabin Shop a few times, they are great folk and always helpful. However I have only ordered over the phone from them.

On FireFox; I have Java installed but for security reasons I turn it OFF on my browser (I refuse to use Edge or IE...I dont even like Chrome). I have extensive computer training; MCSE, MCSA, MCP, and a stack of of other certs on a variety of platforms...all from and for jobs I have had.
With all that said; you description sounds like:
1) Their site certificate could be outdated. That only they can fix.
2) Your Firefox and or Java might be outdated.
3) A combination of above and one or more of your installed security app(s) or settings.

I will take a look at their site with my system and see it it errors (updated Forefox and Java but my Java is Disabled in Firefox)

Okay, I am back...
Sorry, friend, but it looks from here that the trouble is with Your browser and/or security settings.
I was able to load a cart, view the cart and proceed to checkout (i did not complete the purchase as i dont need anything right now).

I would suggest updating FireFox, also a Java update just came out a couple days ago.
I can get things into my cart on all the browsers that I have tried. The problem is at checkout I can't get the drop down menu to select my state to work so I can't complete the order. Firefox and Java both say they are the latest versions, checked yesterday. Yesterday as a test I installed Opera browser and it didn't work either. Then charged up my old iPad and got the same results. So something else is amiss. Oh well, I called in and ordered a catalog. It is strange that this website is the only one that gives me problems out of the many I buy from. Thanks for your information.

Last edited:
I can get things into my cart on all the browsers that I have tried. The problem is at checkout I can't get the drop down menu to select my state to work so I can't complete the order. Firefox and Java both say they are the latest versions, checked yesterday. Yesterday as a test I installed Opera browser and it didn't work either. Then charged up my old iPad and got the same results. So something else is amiss. Oh well, I called in and ordered a catalog. It is strange that this website is the only one that gives me problems out of the many I buy from. Thanks for your information.
Have a few before heading to VA so I checked again; I had no trouble pulling down any menus, took it right up to hitting the purchase button before canceling.
But yes, their site is heavy with java scripts, and these days I find it best to call, if anything then just to make sure the items are actually In Stock!
Sorry I cant give any further assist on your end but here with Firfox on Win7 Pro their site appears to be working fine....??

Attachments

• 20220428_115152.jpg
    20220428_115152.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 29
But yes, their site is heavy with java scripts, ...
Pretty much any site that provides any truly interactive service has Javascript in it in various places. Despite its being a terrible programming language (and I've written probably tens of thousands of lines of code in it), it's heavily embedded in web technology. There are better languages, and a lot of developers are of course using them, but there is still a lot of nuts & bolts kind of stuff (especially in somewhat older implementations) using Javascript. The presence of Javascript itself in someone's web code isn't a sign of inferiority or imminent trouble. But it's not for amateur web tinkerers to mess with at the commercial level.

I had one of those baking powder submarines when I was a kid. I played with it in my parents' aquarium.

I use to help my Grandmas Siamese Cats to fish in her large Aquarium when she wasnt around, I can attest to the fact that the Siamese "Fighting" Fish didnt do much fighting at all during the proceedings.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back