• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalranger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Before I do what I normally do (charge ahead) I thought I'd ask you guys first. (I'm learning) I have a T/C Renegade 54 and I got back from shooting the other night and cleaned her up just fine. Except for the lock. Didn't know what to do. I expect it's hooked into the trigger somehow so I thought I'd wait till I got instructions. Do you put it on 1/2 cock and unscrew the lock on the opposite side and just pull it out? Is there some part that will fall into the carpet and never get seen again? Help me out here guys. Thanks. BTW, the owners manual is on backorder from T/C. Ron.

You can unscrew it and pull it right out. It doesn't have to be on half cock or anything. If parts fall out, you have problems. It should come right off and go back on like nothing.

HD

Actually, you will probably have to put it on half-cock so it will clear the nipple, but other than that it's a straightforward operation.

And don't pull it out with gorrilla force...I have seen an older one or two that did have to be in half cock for the sear tip to rotate clear of the bottom edge of the lock mortise or it would splinter.

If its a tight fit in the lock mortise, you may have to wiggle it a little while applying easy pulling pressure.

If its a really tight fit, screw the lock bolt back in a couple turns and gently tap on the head of the lock bolt to 'start' pushing the lock out of the mortise, then remove the screw and wiggle the lock on out the rest of the way.

Yep,very easy. Just loosen the scew opposite the side of the hammer (i.e. don't take the hammer screw out) and the entire lock plate just pops off.

Roundball hit the nail on the head when he suggested that you back out the lock screw a couple of turns, then very lightly tap on the bolt head to start the dislodging of the lockplate.

I would suggest that you back the screw out about 1/16 inch for this first stage of the removal.

Use a block of wood or something fairly soft to tap with so you don't mar the screw head and visually check the lock plate to make sure it isn't pulling some slivers of wood out.

After the lock plate has started to move, back the screw out another two turns or so and tap some more. This should move the lock plate out about 3/32 of an inch total. After it is that far out, you can remove the screw and wiggle it out the rest of the way.

You might want to use a sharp knife and lightly scrape the wood where it meets the edges of the lock plate. Do this just enough to remove a little of the finish that is in the mortise. It will help you when it comes time to reinstall the lock.

Back