• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease or Oil on the Arbor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both very old sperm whale oil from Dixie and a bear grease-beeswax lube I make. Chemists say that if you esterify jojoba oil it is similar in composition to sperm whale oil. Now how to esterify or form an ester of jojoba oil is a question for a chemist. You can legally still get jojoba oil but sperm whale oil is no longer produced for purchase.
I've used both & works well on lubing small parts but as 45D states Mobile-1 still best hands down for BP revolver arbors.

I used some grease from the little jar in my M-1 Garand. Now the question I have is, how much should I use?

Mobile-1 works very well (I do use it), but when the temperature gets down there (and I'm saying ice makin temps, plus/minus) forget about it. It stays sorta tacky but gets stiff. I've used white lithium grease for alota years on my capper arbors (even innards) and it doesn't get stiff like Mobil-1. IMO white lithium is the number 1 all-time/all-around best grease, Mobil-1 can get the red ribbon. I've been shootin cap n' balls since 1972, adds up to 52 years of trial and error of this and that. The white lithium never runs and seals the end of the arbor/cylinder mating. After alot of rounds when taking the capper apart (be it Colt or Remington), the grease is the same off white color as when I applied it except for the very end where the arbor/cylinder meet that gets sort of tannish due to the burning of powder.

I use Super Lube synthetic grease. It does not matter which synthetic, I happen to have many tubes of Super Lube from samples handed out over the years.

I too re-load off the gun as a requirement of the Range Rules. Works for me, easier regardless. If the Cylinder is not rotatinv nicely I do a quick swab down and put the lube on.

Usually use grease, trying some anti seize thread protector

If its the standard anti seize I run. I am like the guy in the picture, it gets all over. I also do not do wall paper. And I won't mention the bucket of special silver paint I kicked over in my youth. They had to make a special order to get another can. Of course I thought they should have several smaller cans. My normally good natured boss was seriously annoyed with me.

Of course I did not remind him of the time he tried to get me to put gasoline in a Dozer fuel tank that had a diesel engine ! (granted they were expecting a gas model but anyone with a modicum of engines clearly could see it was not a gasoline engine)

Latest posts

Back