• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock corrosion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naphtali

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has ANYONE had corrosion on interior lock parts or interior of lock plate of a percussion lock?

I used to remove the lock from its mortise after every shooting session, soak the assembled lock in a Simple Green-Dawn hot water solution. Then use a toothbrush to scrub the interior while running the lock under hot water from the kitchen tap.

While I would prefer to refer to my recent muzzleloader cleaning as an "experiment," I've just been lazy. I had not been removing locks for interior cleaning for several months. When I did remove the locks, I found nothing amiss - no schmutz, no corrosion, no nothing.

Is this normal - that is, having I been over medicating my cap locks? Is once a year maintenance adequate? . . . Am I asking a valid question?

I had never removed the lock from my GPR until it started to not fire the cap. I removed the lock and found the lube had turned to crud and cleaned it up with proper lube and that fixed the problem.

The rifle is probably around 15 years old and I didn't find any corrosion on the inside of the lock. IMHO I think you have been over doing it, but cleaning and lubing well can never be "wrong".

Some pull'm and clean'm every time.
I don't.
I'll wipe the exterior after shooting, paying attention to the hammer cup and area around where the breech fit's.
I do pull'm `bout once a month and look, wipe down, lube, etc,,,
I think the BIGGEST deal is to KNOW the condition of lock and trigger internals and simply care for them accordingly.

I could propbably name the people right now that'll chime in and tell you it's done every time.
And there nothing wrong at all with that.

Whether it's needed or not is a personal preferance.
My locks simply don't need to be pulled/picked at/cleaned/lubbed every shooting session

For my cap locks a once a year pull, and oil is the procedure. Flints every shooting session. :idunno:

Back