• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loads for Traditions Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gard72977 said:
Im almost sure scalper is talking about using a conical but this has me thinking. I have been kicking around the idea of building a underhammer in 32 or 36 with a fast twist for conical. I wonder if I can even get the velocity high enough for this to work out. Just looking for something different to shoot coke cans with and longer distance that RB

Almost for forgot. I have only taken my crocket to the range one time. Not the best day to test. I was loading 25gr of swiss. It was almost too loud without hearing protection. I was kind of surprised. Im going to back down to 10-12gr and try again

I really want to get a .36 medium twist to paper patch soft cast .357 bullets. As a young'un used wadcutters from a 4" barrel to keep rabbits in the fridge. Now I'd like to try out 160 grain round noses and a some more sight radius.
:)

GoodCheer said:
I really want to get a .36 medium twist to paper patch soft cast .357 bullets.

Just wanted to remind you most .36 caliber rifles use patched .350" balls. You'd have to specify a .38 caliber rifle to use your .375" balls as normally used in .36 percussion pistols. :wink:

I shot this target with my Crockett using 30 grains, IIRC, and a .311" ball. Even with the flyer it is still barely over an inch. 20 grns does just about as well.

gard72977 said:
I got to thinking about it and took the crocket out the field. I started with 15 gr of swiss and moved up to 17.5gr. I think I was using a patch the was too small. The crack was much better with lighter loads. Accuracy was not bad but not good enough. Will tighten up the load and try again
I just dont see how you guys can measure to the 1/2 grain. :wink: I aim for a load of 15 grains but might be shooting anywhere from 10-20 grains. its different everytime i load that rifle. I just cant measure that precise.

OzarkTrapper said:
I just cant measure that precise.

Some where long ago (in a land far away), I found a little adjustable brass pistol powder measure. It's only as big around as a pencil and about 2" long. It's marked off in 1-grain increments up to 25 grains, and about as precise as I've ever seen for fine grained 3f. Ain't worth a poot for 2f, but smooth and consistent in the amount of 3f it dumps.

Haven't measured an individual charge, rather I dump 10 charges and weighed the lot for an average. Seems to be right on weight-wise in grains for 3f, whatever translates into in actual volume delivered.

But half-grains? Even with that little gem, I'm in your boat. I'd resort to the scale and premeasure charges if needed, but why?

Sure. All mine are is just cut from antler and hollowed out. I didn't know measures went that presice. I've only ever seen them at 10 grain increments.

adjustable pistol measures are the key for these small calibers. When you are working up the best load you need to be able to adjust and fine tune, and your working with such small charges and changing in small increments. One you discover that sweet spot load, you can then bore an antler measure of the same size. I have a few different ones, and if you pour from one to another, the charges are usually not exactly the same. your really just trying to find the load the gun likes, after youve perfected that, you can then remeasure and weigh the charge to see exactly what it is. Ive found a lot of variation from measure to measure. and Im sure with a homemade scoop its even harder to stay precise, the difference between level, a bit concave, or convex, can easily be a few grains

Squeeze said:
...the difference between level, a bit concave, or convex, can easily be a few grains

Amen. So can tiny variations in how the powder settles as you fill the measure. In my early days of loading metallic cartridges I was stuck by economy with using the old LEE "scoop" style powder measures rather than a scale. It was an eye opener to finally get a scale and see how small variations in technique resulted in large variations in powder charge, but it taught me invaluable lessons about consistency with black powder measures.

I don't worry too much about small variations with larger charges. But when you get down below 20 grains a couple of grains is a big deal. I don't worry about half grains, but only because I simply can't measure that precisely.

That particular target was fired from a seated, hunting type position. I always seem to shoot better from a field position than I can from a bench. My eyes have gotten worse the past 4 years and such a target is better than I can shoot, now.

Back