• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loads for a .40 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only tell you what works in my .40. 40 grains of 3F gives excellent accuracy and over 1700 fps; it's a great all around load. Switching to 60 grains gives close to 2000 fps and great accuracy at 100 yards.

Mine has a 42" Douglas barrel w 1/66 twist and deep grooves. Hanshi's load will work in it I'm sure but I use .395 balls, .015" patch and either spit or MAP for range work. Powder is 50 gr Goex FFg and prime is 4F or finer (Null B or 7F) when I have it.

Hanshi is using 3F so Velocities are similar. My 75 gr load was pushing a little over 2100 fps w that old liner.
TC

Mine is a 28" GM barrel on a TC Renegade.
It loads pretty tight with .397 balls (because that's what diameter the Lee mold throws). Jacks Battle powder seems to work just fine.

My 42" SMR with a Rice bbl. does best with a .395 ball and 55 gns. 3f Goex. For offhand shooting at 25-50 yds I generally use 50 gns. which allows me to use "center-hold" on any target.
I haven't done enough shooting at 100 yds with this rifle to have any idea what will work.

You should start with grains of powder = the number of your caliber, using the old rule-of-thumb..., so that' would be 40 grains. That's often what folks find works for them.

I have to use, by law, 60 grains of powder IF I hunt deer with my flinter in .40 so..., I have a 30 grain measure for small game and targets, and will double the load if I try for deer.

I use a patched .389 round ball (hey that's what the box says is the diameter). I also have custom 180 grain conicals for deer or coyote, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

LD

I cast and shoot .390" ball from a Lee mold. I'm wanting to try some .395" with the .022" patches I cut myself.

40 Flint, it's a swamped, "B" weight 38" Green Mountain barrel.

My 42 inch GM barrel has won many medals [NMLRA Territorials to Ft TY and local shoots] with 35 grains GOEX 3fg.

Double charged I used it for deer. I shot two deer with the 70 grain load. That killed them but I now use my 54 42 inch for that purpose. I like to knock them down for no trailing needed.

I have a 34 inch hoyt barrel 1-48. I use .395 .020 patch 40 gr.3f. it shoots clean. no wiping all day for paper at 25,50 and 75 yd. for 100 yd. 50 gr. will knock down bowling pins.

Sounds to me like you have it nailed. Excellent success, IMO. :hatsoff:

My .40 drops bowling pins pretty good, too; never had one run after the shot. :rotf: :rotf:

I am old folks and we were always taught to shoot 1 grain per caliber + 5 . I use a .395 Ideal ball with fifteen thousandths ticking with spit patch on the range and sperm oil for hunting . Also like Bore Butter . I only have 1/2 pint of the oil left so I use it kinda sparing . I like 2f in anything .40 or larger .

Eddie

My wife's .40 hasn't seen enough shooting to recommend a load. But, using a patched .395 rb and 25 gr. of Swiss 3Fg it booms like an 8 inch cannon. :shocked2: Can't explain that but it is very loud. Compared it to my .44 magnum revolver and the little .40 won the loud match by a lot. Why? I dunno. :confused:

Interesting because the first time I took my .40 to a friends house to burn some powder, he commented several times about how sharp the report of my rifle was. He described it as a loud CRACK.

Rifleman1776 said:
My wife's .40 hasn't seen enough shooting to recommend a load. But, using a patched .395 rb and 25 gr. of Swiss 3Fg it booms like an 8 inch cannon. :shocked2: Can't explain that but it is very loud. Compared it to my .44 magnum revolver and the little .40 won the loud match by a lot. Why? I dunno. :confused:

A shorter barrel w a heavy charge might have a lot of the powder combustion out in front of the muzzle. Yes/no?

40 Flint said:
Rifleman1776 said:

A shorter barrel w a heavy charge might have a lot of the powder combustion out in front of the muzzle. Yes/no?

25 Grains would not be a heavy charge regardless of having a shorter barrel. If the loud noise is a sharp crack you have the rifle loaded correctly if a dull but loud boom then it is not . A very short barrel is usually louder than a longer one anyway you look at it . You want loud find someone with a .30 carbine chambered Ruger Blackhawk .

Eddie

40 Flint said:
Rifleman1776 said:

Understood. But hers is not a particularly short barrel, 34". It is a ladies sized full stock long rifle. But loud. And I do mean LOUD!

Back