• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loading ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonedge

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i got a 1851 rem.44cal.what is the right way to load..i have read to use 22gr 3f powder with.451 ball..also do i put powder,wad,ball or powder ball,wad.and do i have to wax each cylinder after loading.have heard mixed opinnion on this..
thanks for the help in advance..moon

Not much to it really. I don't fool with a wad. Powder, ball and Crisco. About 25 grains seems to be OK in the .44 guns.

Is that an 1858 Remmington New Model Army? Or is it an 1851 Navy Colt? Both will probably work better with .454 balls, so that you shave-off just a little bit of lead as you seat them into the cylinder.

Powder-lubed wad-ball does the trick! That's what we use in competition!

Good luck and make smoke!

Dave

As the others have said, powder, wad, ball OR powder, ball and some thick lube like Crisco shortening over the ball for lubrication and to assure a positive seal.

Do not forget to cap any chamber that has powder in it. A loaded, uncapped chamber can be fired from the flash from the chamber the hammer is firing.

thanks to all for the info...it does't have grips for now.have ordered a set from DGW.should be in the first of next week.will let everyone know how it shoots after iget the grips fitted...
talk to ya'll later moon

Back