• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loading the 1858 Remington Army ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Spur 82

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Taylor Arms 1858 Remington Army which I haven't shot much,mainly because I have to fumble for 5 minutes before I can put the cylinder back into the frame after loading it.I've seen men,on you tube, slip it out and slip it in quicker then I can say do it.Is there a big secret to this?What am I doing wrong?I put the gun on half cock and drop the loading lever,the cylinder comes out ok but when I go to put it back in,is the problem.
One more little debate going on in my head,felt wad or no felt wad between powder and ball? Mine is a 36 caliber.
Thank you,
Rusty Spur

Yes to the wads as they work great!

5 minutes is a little long. Remember that you have to rotate the cylinder into position to get everything all lined-up prior to pushing the cylinder's pin back into the cylinder. It takes a little practice, but it's very doable.

No one says you need to load the cylinder outside of the gun though. I use a loading stand that holds the entire pistol, not just the cylinder, so I don't ever have to change cylinders in the field. Only take mine out to clean it.

Dave

The pawl spring is too stiff. With the pistol at half cock, use a wood dowel and push the pawl in flush, this will help weaken the spring. Do not push the pawl into it's cavity.

Hold the pistol in your left hand with the barrel pointed at your right hand. When you look at the left side of the pawl it will be flat. Using a file, very slowly remove a bit of metal from the left front side of the pawl, try to put the cylinder back into the pistol. Eventually the cylinder will go into the pistol easier with a bit of filing.

When putting the cylinder in to the frame, rotate it clock wise and push forward while doing so.

You can send it back to Taylor's and they will fix it in one day or call Taylor's and talk with the gunsmith. He will talk you through what needs to be done.

Richard,
I have to thank you.I followed your instructions and I am having no more problems in assembling the cylinder back into the frame and holding the revolver in my left hand and pointing the barrel to my right made it so much easier.That will be my religious way of doing it from now on.
And to the other posters who replied to me,a warm thanks,as well.I was loading ball on powder and greasing over the ball before with my Navy but I will try the wad over powder and check the difference it makes.Being shaky,I need all the help I can get.
Rusty Spur

Rusty Spur said:
What am I doing wrong? I put the gun on half cock and drop the loading lever, the cylinder comes out ok but when I go to put it back in, is the problem.
One more little debate going on in my head, felt wad or no felt wad between powder and ball? Mine is a 36 caliber.
Thank you,
Rusty Spur
Ok, here's what you may be doing wrong, your half cock. When I do mine, I never go to half cock, not at all. Put the cylinder in place and bring the hammer back just enough to let the cylinder fall into the frame, slide the pin back in, put the lever home, cock and shoot. When you have your hammer at half cock, there's two little pieces of steel coming out of little holes that can and will hinder seating the cylinder. As far as wads go, it's personal preference, I use them. Hope this helps you. Everyone else can give it a try and see how easy it is to do.
:grin: :thumbsup:
Pustic

Back