• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Regards loading powder: Does anyone use/recommend a funnel/drop tube when placing BP in barrel? And Does anyone use/recommend a lubed wad on top of the powder charge ? Is this redundant or would this act somewhat like a gas check?

I can only relate opinions on this, but what the heck, you will be getting what you paid for. 😂

I see that some of the serious match shooters use a drop tube. Maybe it matters and maybe not. I'm in the Maybe it matters camp but tempered with, "yeah, but how much". 🤔 probably would take a hundred shots off a gun vice to see any difference-- if there is any difference!

I've always kinda thought that the barrel served as a sorta drop tube 🤔

Over powder wads?? I've never tried either but no shortage of opinion. 😀 They seem to be considered a good way to protect the patch. My thought is that a quality patch material well matched to the ball/bore when fired from a well conditioned barrel needs no special protection.

Just my opinion.

Regards loading powder: Does anyone use/recommend a funnel/drop tube when placing BP in barrel? And Does anyone use/recommend a lubed wad on top of the powder charge ? Is this redundant or would this act somewhat like a gas check?
My measure has a funnel attached. It is convenient for me, and since I am a sloppy person, saves powder. Never use wads except in my shotgun.
Larry

I use hexagonal over-powder wads in my Whitworth rifle. I find that they are beneficial in cutting down windage when shooting round cross-section bullets.

Drop tubes are usually used only by bench shooters who want to make sure all of the powder gets to the bottom rather than stuck to the sides.Over powder wads are usually not lubed.The purpose of over powder wads are to prevent lubed mini's, or prb from wetting the powder, as well as improved gas checks.

I don't use a real "drop tube". But for my .32 I do use a little plastic funnel duct-taped to about a 4-inch section of aluminum arrow. I do this mostly since I pour the charge directly out of my brass flask with a measured spout, and dumping it directly into that .32 barrel is otherwise a bit tricky. :rolleyes:

Drop tubes are popular (and for good reason) in loading certain types of cartridges. It's hard for me to credit the idea that they contribute to powder in a muzzleloader barrel ending up in the bottom of the barrel. After all, you're pushing the ball down that bore with a tight patch. Where else is the powder going to go? But some people seem to think it makes a difference, though I've never seen anyone actually cite any evidence for such a belief.

I can only relate opinions on this, but what the heck, you will be getting what you paid for. 😂

I see that some of the serious match shooters use a drop tube. Maybe it matters and maybe not. I'm in the Maybe it matters camp but tempered with, "yeah, but how much". 🤔 probably would take a hundred shots off a gun vice to see any difference-- if there is any difference!

Over powder wads?? I've never tried either but no shortage of opinion. 😀 They seem to be considered a good way to protect the patch. My thought is that a quality patch material well matched to the ball/bore when fired from a well conditioned barrel needs no special protection.

Just my opinion.
I agree with you about ball and patch. I wasn't specific enough -- referring to maxi's and other poured bullets.
Drop tubes are usually used only by bench shooters who want to make sure all of the powder gets to the bottom rather than stuck to the sides.Over powder wads are usually not lubed.The purpose of over powder wads are to prevent lubed mini's, or prb from wetting the powder, as well as improved gas checks.
That's what got me wondering and that's the conclusion I came to

I thought drop tubes were used to fill brass cases with black powder, in order to settle the powder in the case.

I use a measure with a built in funnel. I don't really need it on my .62, but I benefit using the funnel when I load my .36. I have never used a drop tube, so I have no opinion there. I never used a wad, and don't see the point.

I thought drop tubes were used to fill brass cases with black powder, in order to settle the powder in the case.
Drop tubes are sometimes necessary when loading brass cases to allow for enough powder. I used to shoot 45-90 and the only way to get the entire charge into the case was to slowly drop the powder through a drop tube to allow all the grains to “pack down” inside the case So there was room left to seat the bullet in the case.

I don’t see the point in using a drop tube with a ML rifle - there is plenty of space in the barrel to fit the charge and the ball/bullet!

I use a brass funnel with a 4in shaft on my .36cal ml rifle. It makes pouring the powder easier. I use a short funnel with a shaft the size of the bore on my ss pistol and OA revolver for the same reason.

I’ve been using a Ted Cash measure/funnel/drop tube gizmo for 25 years. Never waste a grain of powder.

I've had real good luck with oversized Durofelt wads. The bore stays shiny clean for lots of shooting. Makes cleanup a breeze.

Just my opinion.
When I use a drop tube it is to eliminate powder sticking to the sides of the barrel. Lube in the barrel will be sticky and the powder will adhere to it, thus not all the powder you have measured out will be in the main charge.. The drop tube eliminates this and yes it does help the powder pack better for better performance.

Back