• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Article About Cap & Ball Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The current issue of True West magazine (November 2020, with Emiliano Zapata on the cover) has a nice article on cap and ball revolvers, by Phil Spangenberger. I don't think hard-core blackpowder aficionados will find anything new or surprising in it, and there is really nothing about actually shooting these guns, but it does present a broad and informative historical overview, and it is illustrated with excellent photographs of currently available replicas of at least eleven specific revolvers, including a larger-than-life "centerfold" of the EMF/Pietta Paterson. There are a couple of old period photographs, also.

If you don't have a subscription, only you can decide if this article is worth the $5.99 cover price for the magazine. However, I thought the story was well written and nicely illustrated, and it's always good to see our black powder arms featured favorably in the mainstream media.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Picked up a copy today! Stand by for a critique in a day or two! Sr. Emeliano Zapata was a hero with many Mexican workers I met in Southeast Texas. One was Rufus Chavez, an older man who was a boy when the revolution occured. I met him when I was 18 years old, working for Al Gaytan, an artist who was restoring the artwork in what was later canonized into St. Anthony's Cathedral in Beaumont, Texas. Rufus told me how cold blooded Pancho Villa was, and how humane Sr. Zapata was, not allowing his troops to rape and pillage, and beloved by the pobrecitos. Rufus told me he and his friends ate hot peppers to kill their hunger during the starving times of the Revolucion.

Last edited:
This issue is a good one. It also has a nice article about the sugarloaf hat, AKA the Mexican sombrero. The article about Emiliano Zapata was well done.

Thanks for your comments!

Notchy Bob

Back