• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Like to identify this Hawken/Plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barrel is 1" straight , 7 lands and grooves, 32 1/2' to the back of the breech plug. Measured 1/2 rotation of the rifling in 31 1/2' travel some where around 62" rifling pitch, allowing for error it could be 60" - 64".

Thanks for the additional info and pictures, Don. I'm as sure as I can be from looking at pictures only that you have a GRRW kit Hawken rifle. It was probably assembled by the person whose name, "G L FORMAN", is stamped on the bottom of the barrel.

All the parts match what I call GRRW's "transition" Hawken rifle that they produced in 1975 plus and minus a few months. The fact that your rifle doesn't have the company and address stamps as well as a serial number stamp tells me it was a kit.

There was a Terry Foreman that worked for GRRW about this time. He is part of a group photo that was included in their 1976 brochure/catalog. G. L. Foreman may have been one of his relatives.

Terry Foreman (in white T-shirt) is second from the left in the second or middle row in the photo below. He is flanked on his right by Pat Lakin (also in white T-shirt) and on his left by Carl Walker. Greg Roberts is in the back row between Foreman and Walker. Phil "Bluejacket" Sanders in kneeling in front of Lakin and appears to the holding an unfinished Northwest trade gun.
Group Pic from 1976 Catalog.jpg

The other identifying parts I can make out in the photos are the triggers that appear to be from Ron Long's kit, the nose cap which was a two-piece sheet metal soldered together and made in the GRRW shop, the rear sight also made in the shop, and the barrel loops. The butt plate and trigger guard are the same type that GRRW used, though they were available from a number of sources including Cherry Corners. The lock may have been assembled from Ron Long parts by Rex Weimer who worked in GRRW's machine shop. Weimer is in the second row, second from the right with the full beard.

GRRW started making their own barrels early in 1974. Prior to that they used Douglas barrels which had 8 grooves/lands and 1:66 twist. GRRW barrels have 7 lands/grooves and 1:60 twist. I'm pretty sure yours is a GRRW barrel.

Your rifle is well put together and could pass for a factory rifle except for the lack of barrel markings. Good to hear that you are having fun with it.

Thanks so much Phil. That is awesome info. Really appreciate it.

It looked like good quality parts to me.

Just looked at the GRRW site, lots of pics.

Again, many thanks.

Don

Last edited:
These parts are exactly the same as the Cherry Corners kit I got back in 1974. Even down to the extra long hammer for use with a large-breech tapered barrel. I cut & shortened and welded my hammer to fit GR Douglas 1" straight barrel. Has held up perfectly. I've won many prizes with this gun over the years, mostly up & down the left coast then after moving back to. Texas in 1986.

Invest arms or a built gun from parts what ever it is nice looking rifle well done

I’m weighing in only because I built 2 GRRW kits in the mid/late 1970s…the parts look exactly like GRRW parts as does the grade of wood…GRRW touted their “choke rifled” barrel…that could be a way to verify that it is GRRW.

theGRRW barrel rifling tapers from breech to muzzle …tight at the muzzle making it easier to ram a ball once it is started…in theory upon firing it grips the rifling progressively tighter aiding accuracy and gas sealing.

Back