• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Light weight short flinter that’s accurate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 54 cal percussion Sharon Hawken that is very heavy.
I want to find a carbine type flint gun with a good lock and accurate barrel.
Been considering a Lyman trade gun in 54 cal but I’m open to suggestions. Would consider military musketoons etc.
Suggestions please! Thanks

The search will, of course, depend on how much you budget for it. They're certainly out there so maybe someone here can help narrow down the choice.

The price of a lyman trade gun is fine. Im rough on my my guns so since I've owned a sharon and a 1861 2band Colt(springfield) I like sturdy guns but don't want a 10 lb gun , under 8 is best..
Looked at some lighter hawkins like the traditions but can't get 54 cal. Also not certain about Traditions lock quality. I know i want a good lock.
Thanks for the comment.

Been considering a Lyman trade gun in 54 cal but I’m open to suggestions. Would consider military musketoons etc.
My early Lancaster 38" Rice swamp 50cal barrel with Siler lock would fit your need. I had the same weight issue, that is why I did the build. The gun is not for sale, just pointing out a suggestion. Gun shows and for sales here on the forum can help you. Look for a non factory rifle, with Siler lock and a name brand swamp barrel.
Larry

About 6 months ago I acquired a Rogers Rangers 16 gauge (66 caliber) smooth bore flintlock. It was made by Larry Zornes in Jackson, Ohio. I have not shot it yet. It is essentially a Brown Bess carbine. I have not shot it yet. Larry is still making guns. Maybe you can contact him and see what he has to offer?

The price of a lyman trade gun is fine. Im rough on my my guns so since I've owned a sharon and a 1861 2band Colt(springfield) I like sturdy guns but don't want a 10 lb gun , under 8 is best..
Looked at some lighter hawkins like the traditions but can't get 54 cal. Also not certain about Traditions lock quality. I know i want a good lock.
Thanks for the comment.
If you are hard on your guns or don’t take very good care of them there is no point in putting a lot of money in some kind of longrifle-type of gun. They do not take that kind of treatment very well. Stick with a factory half-stock gun in the $600 - $800 range. L & R Lock Company makes good replacement locks for some of the more common factory models, which you can buy for an upgrade if needed.

A TC Renegade should serve you well…

I own one that’s a .50 cal flintlock.
I’ve never had any issues with the TC lock and the little gun is very accurate! Short & easy too maneuver..

If you are hard on your guns or don’t take very good care of them there is no point in putting a lot of money in some kind of longrifle-type of gun. They do not take that kind of treatment very well. Stick with a factory half-stock gun in the $600 - $800 range. L & R Lock Company makes good replacement locks for some of the more common factory models, which you can buy for an upgrade if needed.
Good points, I do take good care of my guns but if I get dings while hunting that’s ok. They show wear which I like. Not abuse. I keep guns if they are accurate for a long time .

This isnt going to be a popular opinion but I would look a Traditions Deerhunter. They weigh about 6 pounds. I had a flint I sold to Griz44mag on this board. I never shot it but he reported it to be very accurate and it sparked well for me. It was like new. Maybe you can contact him to see how the lock has held up.
I still have a Deerhunter percussion which is my go to hunting rifle. It has fixed sights. It is a very accurated with PBR. My Deerhunter weighs 5# 15oz. My T/C Renegade weights 8#-3oz.

Back