• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lewis & Clark Harpers Ferry Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hopefully I put this in the correct category.

Went down the the Traveler's Rest site the other day and saw a new display in the museum. From what I was told by the lady running the place, a gentleman bought this 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle at an auction, sight unseen, and began cleaning it up. He noticed the serial number of "12" and stopped there. Lewis & Clark supposedly, although not officially from what I understand, had serial numbers 1-15 as a prototype short-barreled rifle. The barrel had been modified and it has been converted to a caplock, but the intersting feature is a hole on the bottom of the stock (couldn't get a good picture) for attaching a sling, which I guess there is some mention of the Expedition doing, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

I realize that it can't be proven whether or not this rifle was actually on the Expedition, but it is an interesting thought :thumbsup:

0829110954.jpg

It's cool to see any olde original.
I hope this doesn't drag up the endless debate again about the actual L&C Corp carry gun,
But I'm from the school that they where actually the 1795 model with the new lock,, :idunno:

Yep, some things in history we're just never going to know. We can debate it until our brains bleed, but we're still not going to know. :idunno:

Interesting gun no matter what it is. Think of all the generations that have come and gone, and all the people who have handled it since it was made. Oh, if that rifle could talk.

I always figured any rifle that endured the whole trip by the Corps of Discovery would be beat up beyond recognition upon its return. They did alot of make-do repairs on those guns. One had the barrel shortened due to some damage, and ended up shooting Capt Lewis in the butt. :shocked2: So I doubt that any gun survived to today, and if it did, I figure it wouldn't look anywhere near that good. Just my thoughts. Bill

I've caught pieces of the debate and seen it get ugly fast I'm certainly not trying to delve into that one, here or anywhere :haha:

I agree with snowdragon, if it was one of theirs I'm surprised at the relatively good condition, but who knows.

I can't help it, I love seeing old firearms, especially if they were or might have been a part of history like that. I wish some of mine could tell their stories, and they aren't all that old.

On another ml forum, a long-long time ago, someone posted that the contract for these rifles was not completed in time for the expedition departure. That meant the team just scavanged together whatever they could at the last minute. This could explain why the situation is confused. But, to add to the confusion, I have a replica tomahawk, marked 'L&C 1805' that has exactly the same kind of story following it.
I dunno :idunno: just repeating what I heerd.

necchi said:
I hope this doesn't drag up the endless debate again about the actual L&C Corp carry gun,
But I'm from the school that they where actually the 1795 model with the new lock,, :idunno:
Yet you offer your side of the debate you hope no one starts? :shake:

Yeah, I've learned from the best, you've given me some great lessons. :wink:
I'm innocent, I didn't start nuthin :idunno:
All I did was point out the facts or lack of facts in this case.

necchi said:

Actually you mean the 1792 Contract Rifle, right? The M1795 was carried by a large proportion of the Corps of Discovery but it was the standard smoothbore musket used by the US and Sate Infantry.

Back