• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery firarms.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have relook into this but I read somewhere that Captain Clark took along his "small" rifle. This was his personal rifle and has been referenced to being a small caliber rifle or one made by gun maker John Small of Vincennes Indiana territory. I was privileged to visit some Lewis and Clark sites in 2005. Of particular note Pompeys Pillar in Montana and seeing Wm . Clarks name and date carved into the rock outcropping!

Related to this discussion in 2007 at the Eastern Primitive Rendezvous in southern PA Cowen and Keller brought one of the repro. air rifles and gave a nice presentation on building them. After the presentation, we were invited to take a shot with it. It had been charged with an electric compressor whereas the originals had to be charged with a hand pump. It had a heft the same as a long rifle but that round buttstock was awkward. I managed to hit a 6" gong at 50 yards with my offhand shot. I aimed directly at it so the .50 ball flew very flat. It was a neat experience.

Latest posts

Back