• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let’s see some patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you testing your gun on robins? How do they taste?
Beat me to it.

Walt53, glad you cleared that up.

For 20 odd years wife and I wintered in Southwest Florida. It wasn’t uncommon to see flocks of Robins, a hundred or more birds,pecking along the road way in my suburban area.

Last edited:
Beat me to it.

Walt53, glad you cleared that up.

For 20 odd years wife and I wintered in Southwest Florida. It wasn’t uncommon to see flocks of Robins, a hundred or more birds,pecking along the road way in my suburban area.
Use to be like that in spring time where I was raised and went to school in the field behind our house .🙂The good ole days .😊

I don't have a pattern to show but today I had a chance to chronograph my 58 caiiber smooth bore. The load is 50 gr. 3F Goex, nitro wad, 1/2" lubed cushion wad, 1 oz shot, and an over shot wad. The only shot I chronographed read 944 fps.
Got a picture of your gun there partner .

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/shot-patterns.160172/

My Kibler 24 ga has a nice pattern I developed. Got a solid round ball load from @Ballshooter too. Jug choked, 80 gr FFF, lubed wad, 1.75 oz #5, followed by another lubed wad. Deadly on gobblers. The shot pattern was at 25 yards. PRB pattern was 50 yards

I guess that answers my question about being able to shoot round ball from a jug choke. Did you shoot it before and after? Does jug choking affect prb accuracy by much?

Got a picture of your gun there partner .
It's one I built from various parts, not a copy of anything since I don't like building copies for some reason.

IMG_6507.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

Last edited:
I guess that answers my question about being able to shoot round ball from a jug choke. Did you shoot it before and after? Does jug choking affect prb accuracy by much?
I did not shoot it before I had it choked. I don’t think it affects accuracy on a PRB, or if it does I don’t notice. I’m very pleased with the results

I had a dbl 20 jug choked by Caywood a year+ back, we had a "misunderstanding" about timing and my calls were met with a bitt of attitude. Put me off so bad I STILL have yet to shoot it. RUINED that season for me. Seeing the results here I hope mine is as good. He said he got it as tight as possible so we shall see. It was rather thin walled so I was just glad he worked on it. EXCELLENT reputation and had not the above misfortune occurred I'm sure I could be more optimistic. I am a grudge holder, kinda. I still owe a kid in second grade an arse whoopin for lying to his daddy principal about me stealing his twinkie and getting me my first paddling. He KNEW it wasn't me! I am patient tho.💀

Before I had it jug choked I got what I would consider a tight enough pattern outta both barrels for turkey with the stock Cyl/Cyl bores using the skychief method. ALL other methods were terrible after about 15 yds.

I did not shoot it before I had it choked. I don’t think it affects accuracy on a PRB, or if it does I don’t notice. I’m very pleased with the results
I finally got out of my chair,hears my Jacky Brown 28 gauge smooth bore it has a 36” barrel L& R lock and it likes the same load as slim my 24 gauge REDavis lock and 26 inch barrel and both are cylinder bore and shoot pretty good once the nut behind the wheel figured it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I finally got out of my chair,hears my Jacky Brown 28 gauge smooth bore it has a 36” barrel L& R lock and it likes the same load as slim my 24 gauge REDavis lock and 26 inch barrel and both are cylinder bore and shoot pretty good once the nut behind the wheel figured it out.
Hears a better one .all taken at about 23 yards .

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I have two brown cardboard discs, about 1/16" thick each over powder and one white thin "over-shot" card on top. I find that any heavier card over the shot makes a hole in my pattern with these no choked 24-gauges
Thankyou I’m gonna try 2 over shot cards on the powder and 1 over the shot know that I have some .Before I was using cornmeal over the powder and wasp nest over the shot and that seemed to work really well for both my 24 and my 28 gauge.Again thankyou as I’m new to smoothbores and all alown up hear so the forum is my knowledge.

Thankyou I’m gonna try 2 over shot cards on the powder and 1 over the shot know that I have some .Before I was using cornmeal over the powder and wasp nest over the shot and that seemed to work really well for both my 24 and my 28 gauge.Again thankyou as I’m new to smoothbores and all alown up hear so the forum is my knowledge.
Keep em coming guys I’m all eyes and ears and I appreciate your input .

Back