• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leonard Day Wheellock Rifle in the mail!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks very much for the translation--those locks are beautiful--I wonder if Razspla sells them?

Raszpla, Pan sprzedaż wheellock wyrzutnie? Inną osobę na tej stronie chce wiedzieć. Dzięki. Mieć wielkie weekend! (Google! :) )

Raszpla, what is delightful is that historically some of the best wheellocks originally came from Eastern Europe. So you are building them where they were once built.

Babylon 9 Translation: Raszpla, co jest cudowną jest taki, że historycznie jedne z najlepszych wheellocks oryginalnie pochodzi z Europy Wschodniej. Tak jesteś budynku je, gdzie byli chwilą zbudowania.

Here's the internals of that lock Raszpla! Is this historically accurate? It's a coil spring! Thanks.

02132012LockinternalsforDayWheellock.jpg

hi
i have never seen coil spring used in the lock of a wheel lock ? it is interesting i thought they were all chain driven i
have books on dutch wheel locks and havent seen any of this type.do you know of any 14th or 15th centry dutch gun or rifle that has one other then the one you have. please show it to me.
thank you
richard westerfield

ja się nie spotkałem z takim systemem napędu przy broni ale nie jest takie rozwiązanie wykluczone ponieważ ta idea mechaniczna funkcjonowała od dawna w innych mechanizmach ślusarskiego rzemiosła. takie rozwiązanie jest wadliwe z powodu sztywnego momentu zatrzymania obrotu ośi koła, wraz z kołem. Podczas obrotu system ma ogromną energię, którą podczas zatrzymania ruchu układu przejmują elementy blokujące obrót.Z praktycznego punktu widzenia jest to błąd.

I have never seen a design like this either. What should I do now? I am thinking I should just shoot it.

Nigdy nie widziałem projekt takiego albo. Co powinienem teraz zrobić? Mam na myśli mam po prostu go zastrzelić. Ale to niewypały dużo.

02122012LockexternalforDayWheellock.jpg

daer sir
may be you should ask mr Leonard Day where he got the plans for the lock.it does not look real for the time and place not dutch german french or polish or spanish i think this is not right at all
but this is my two cents worth
Richard Westerfield

mr Day told me he made castings from the gun that was found in John Aldens house, now in the museum, and it is said to be an italian wheel lock from the early 1600s. he was asked to copy the gun for a gentleman that i believe may be on the museum board. he was allowed to disassemble the gun , and make impressions and subsequently castings. the design of my gun is said to be faithful to the original. it uses a 'chain drive' mechanism.
i learned of the project from the gentleman [ i think here on this forum ] who had the first one made. with his permission i contacted mr day and had one made as well. have had it for several years.

as i mentioned, my lock is chain driven, so perhaps he has modified the design
mine works quite well for me.

This is very good workmanship...be proud...I made
my first coil spring wheel lock in 1989. Got the
idea and made one out of a self dare...made two
more since...My springs are not the wrap around
the axle but the long tube type...They all work
just fine...
Wulf

Last edited by a moderator:
what i would like to know is what is a.66 caliber Italian single-shot wheellock carbine. doing in an english home the pilgurms came here from holland they where english but liveing in holland you would think they would have had duth or english wheel locks ?
thank you
Richard Westerfield

i gess it does not matter what kind spring you use be it chain .spring or rubber band as long as it flots your boat .for me it will be a chain drive thats the why thay made them at the time.
Thank You
Richard Westerfield

Wahkahchim:

Here's the original John Alden gun. The Leonard Day gun seems very historically correct. I'm just trying to figure out how to make it go "bang" consistently. :)
http://www.nrablog.com/post/2010/1...-Piece-of-the-First-Thanksgiving.aspx[/quote]

What I think is cool is that the original Wheellock is also a Beretta!

I remember talking to Leonard Day about that carbine when he was making the first one. A picture of it can also be found in Arms and Armor in Colonial America 1523-1783 by Harold L. Peterson

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Last edited by a moderator:
ja mam wątpliwość co do napędu głównego. Ogólnie mechanizm jest ok!

Latest posts

Back