• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leonard Day Wheellock Rifle in the mail!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I talked with gun builder Leonard Day this afternoon. After one year, as previously agreed, he's ready to put the wheellock rifle I ordered into the mail.

It's his interpretation of the famous "Plymouth rifle" which was found in the wall of the home of an original pilgrim back in the 1930's. That's when the rifle was found, apparently the gun itslef was made around 1600.

Leonard so far has been a complete pleasure to work with and has been willing to discuss all the details of the gun. So I am expecting a rifled .54 carbine with a 16th century stock and a 36" barrel. He's test fired it and says it's finicky like all wheellocks but puts the bullets in the right place.

Comments? Advice? As planned, I'm going to give this to myself for Epiphany.

Can't wait to see it! It's ok if its finicky all rock locks are to some degree, but that's why they are so fun!

Wahkahchim:

Hi all.

I talked with gun builder Leonard Day this afternoon. After one year, as previously agreed, he's ready to put the wheellock rifle I ordered into the mail.

It's his interpretation of the famous "Plymouth rifle" which was found in the wall of the home of an original pilgrim back in the 1930's. That's when the rifle was found, apparently the gun itslef was made around 1600.

Leonard so far has been a complete pleasure to work with and has been willing to discuss all the details of the gun. So I am expecting a rifled .54 carbine with a 16th century stock and a 36" barrel. He's test fired it and says it's finicky like all wheellocks but puts the bullets in the right place.

Comments? Advice? As planned, I'm going to give this to myself for Epiphany.

Finicky yes, but you won't get a better made Wheellock! Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Congratulations!
I hope it works out fantastic for you. Definitely post pics.

IMG_56982.jpg

It arrived, and I took it out to shoot! It's very light. Actually it's so light that with 75 grains FFFG it's a bit of a face-smasher: you have to hold your head BACK on the stock.

IMG_56962.jpg

Here's the lock. Compared with the White Wheellock rifle this is a much smaller gun, and the lock is more refined.

0205201214shots75grFFFGDayWheellock.jpg

Here's the results of a February 5th shooting session. 14 shots. 18 misfires. I have a lot to learn. Both pyrite and flint misfired fairly consistently.

However, the 60 yard group of 7 shots of .53 ball, .015 oxyoke patch. 75 grains of FFFG black powder, was pretty good! It's deer worthy at 60 yards.

I also fired 5 shots at plate targets, and hit.

Since this is condor country I can only hunt locally using all-copper saboted bullets, I tried two sabot loads. One keyholed in the group, and another was much higher. So this is an east coast hunting gun, not a condor country hunter.

Now-adays, I can come up with all kinds of excuses for a new gun. :haha:
That is a great looking gun!!!! Congrats :thumbsup: Good shooter too. I like the stock stain. Have a great time with her. :hatsoff: Rick.

Leonard Day designed this wheellock action to work with both flint and pyrite. But my thought is that the flints are too wide to fit on the pan. Also I'm wondering if the dog spring is too light and the stone is riding over the wheel. I got that idea from this site. :)

If the cock is sized anything like the one on his flintlock Dutch Trade Gun, you will need very small flints - 5/8" wide at the largest. Once you get the rock right, it will work far better - at least my flinter did.

Wahkahchim:

She is a beauty! I can see you have been having the same misfire problems like I had with my Wheellock.

Ironically enough I did wonderfully the first time out with some Black Hills pyrite that were given to me to try out by a fellow forum member.

Yet the second time out (a year later) I tried the same pyrites, they were misfiring like the rest and one actually broke apart. :(

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Co jest konieczne aby mechanizm wheellock dobrze funkcjonował? na to pytanie trzeba odpowiedzieć w kilku zdaniach ale podstawową kwestią jest: 1.)zawartość węgla w stopie stali użytej do kola (minimum 1,5 -2% węgla)oraz odpowiednia obróbka cieplna (hartowanie).
2.)droga robocza koła - właściwe rozwiązanie mimośrodu z łańcuchem.
3.)odpowiednia geometria podzespołów i prawidłowa ich współpraca.
4.)odpowiednie sprężyny

przepraszam ale mam problem ze zrozumieniem języka angielskiego ( tłumacz google sobie nie radzi )

Raszpla knows his wheellocks: Here's a Google version:

"What is necessary to wheellock mechanism to function well? to this question must be answered in a few sentences, but the basic question is: 1) the carbon content in the alloy steel used for the wheel (at least 1.5 to 2% carbon) and a suitable heat treatment (quenching).
Second) wheel working the way - the right solution eccentricity of the chain.
3) geometry of the correct components and their cooperation.
4) the corresponding spring

I'm sorry but I have a problem understanding the English language (google translate can not cope)"

Back