• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lefthanded flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo40

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would have swore that my SMR has a small LH Siler on it, as its identical to the small RH Siler thats on my squirrel rifle, but I'm unable to find one. Wanting to build a pistol an looking for a small lefthanded flintlock, so far the smallest LH one I can find is the L&R Manton, its 4 3/4 long, I guess that would work, this is a no particular style pistol, got a .62 smoothbore barrel I was thinking of putting into a Kentucky styled pistol stock, just something I"m making for me to use. Any suggestions on locks? I would like to find a French styled pistol stock but all I've located is kits for those. thanks

I just looked around and couldn't find a smaller lock also. I also think your are talking about the Bailes Lock which is 4.7 inches long. The Manton is right at 5 inches according to Track of the Wolf. I'm a lefty also and it really gets me :cursing: a lot because nobody but L&R is smart enough to make locks for us Left handers. R.E. Davis, and Chambers are nut cases and stupid for not making any of their locks in left-hand. I bet they have lost a lot of business because of their refusal to tool up to make left handed locks when they started up. To me Siler Locks are not the end all, be all of locks because on some builds it is totally wrong to use a Siler Lock. I for one will never use one anymore. :cursing:

I really don't care what brand I get as long as it works, I just need a small lefty, According to Pecatonica's web site, the Manton lock is 4 & 3/4s long, so not sure, I think the L&R Durs Egg might be under 5" also which I can get in left hand, at this point because of my limited options I just would like a nice small lefty flintlock.

I think what James is referring to is not so much the brand, but the style and how that fits to the PC/HC'ness of a certain build. For instance, he wouldn't want to put a Siler on an SMR. And I'm with him on that. Being a lefty is very limiting on lock choices... :idunno:

I really don't care what brand I get as long as it works, I just need a small lefty, According to Pecatonica's web site, the Manton lock is 4 & 3/4s long, so not sure, I think the L&R Durs Egg might be under 5" also which I can get in left hand, at this point because of my limited options I just would like a nice small lefty flintlock.

I'm a lefty as well, while back someone asked Jim Chambers about more LH locks, his answer: $25,000 to set up tooling for one lock !!!! Mongo40 if you can stand 225 for a great lock check out Stan Hollenbaugh's web site he shows a beautiful LH flintlock. Expensive yes--but 100% hand made....Tom

Tom Knight said:
I'm a lefty as well, while back someone asked Jim Chambers about more LH locks, his answer: $25,000 to set up tooling for one lock !!!! Mongo40 if you can stand 225 for a great lock check out Stan Hollenbaugh's web site he shows a beautiful LH flintlock. Expensive yes--but 100% hand made....Tom

Yea, that's right now, but it probably wouldn't have cost him or R.E. Davies very much at all if he would have tooled up to do lefties at the same time he was tooling up to do their right handed locks. Right now as a Lefty I'm limited to L&R's Manton, John Bailes, Durs Egg, Classic flintlock, and their Queen Ann flintlock, That's only 5 locks to chose from when I want a rifle built. There are NO lefty Fowler locks in case I wanted a smoothbore down the line :cursing: .

Chambers has a left handed lock that the sideplate is left square so you can shape it to your own design, I just don't know how small I could cut it down but thinking that might work also, guess I should email him an ask.

think I'll order the L&R John Bailes, track shows it as one of the pistol options an looks to be one of the smallest offered.

I looked at Stans web site, I think hand made locks are super nice. I think all our locks are 'hand made' aren' they?....I know that certain lock makers are more expense due to the 'time' on each lock~
Is there a advantage to the brass plate??? is it a cosmetic point??

marc

Stan & Bob Roller plus some others machine all parts from steel stock, & springs are forged from scratch. "Factory" locks are for the most part wax castings heat treated. Use the brass if your in the navy :haha: ...Tom

Marc, I don't think there is any advantage to the brass plate (which is actually bronze on the current offerings) aside from the "cool factor" in some eyes.

I have seen a (very very) few originals with a brass plate - one in particular on a Shenandoah rifle by one of the Sheet's clan that I want to build some day.

Back in the day locks were relatively cheap and many were bought from the hardware store (50 cents when a barrel sold for $2.50 in the early 1800's).

So a brass plate would have been quite an upgrade in terms of labor which may be why they weren't more prolific.

This has been a life long challenge to find left-hand guns, barrels and locks. Someone should build a list of those suppliers that have left-hand components as a quick reference for us "sinister" types.
:wink:

L&R is the primary source for left handed locks and breech plugs.

A large Siler in flint/cap and the Siler Mountain (cap) is available in left handed from Chambers (and the re-sellers).

If you buy the barrel and the plug separate (as builders parts) then it can be built as "either" left or right handed (so assume you are talking about "off the shelf" barrels from the Spanish/Italian/Indian suppliers??).

If you are looking at caplocks, if you start with a Hawken style flint patent breech it "doesn't care" which side the drum goes on and there are a few left handed caplocks (again from L&R and a couple from Chambers). To a lesser degree there is a couple of snail breech plugs built in left-hand.

As to flintlocks you have three Germanic styles - early American, classic American and Siler and a Durs Egg, Queen Anne and Late English in the english styles.

Plus, if you don't mind spending a bit more then the cost of a Chambers or L&R, I believe North Star West makes a left handed Ketland flint.

So not the same variety as right handed, but certainly enough choice to build most rifle styles.

(as a side note, since you are in Vaughan, if you are looking for US suppliers that deal with Canucks you can drop me a note and I can give you a list)

Back