• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee R.E.A.L. bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdarin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got me one of those bullet molds from Lee Precision, the kind that makes those R.E.A.L. minie balls. Made up about 50 or so and coated them with some CVA Slick Lube then went to the range with my flinter. 70gr FFg in the barrel, and a little in the pan and I was consistently getting a 4-5" group off a bench rest at 50 yds. Took 90gr with PRB to get a similar, albeit less predictable group. Didn't need to clean between shots, or at all, for that matter. Just pour the powder, shove the minie down, shoot, repeat. All day. Clean later. Picked up about 50lb. of lead from the local dive shop....old un-plastic-coated dive weights. Pure lead. Cheap.
Anyone else out there ever tried these bullets? I know they're not PC and don't really care (If they'd been around in 1780 I would've used 'em. If I'D been around in 1780). :blah: But for deer huntin' with a flintlock, I don't think they can be beat. :imo: :thumbsup:

I just bought and casted about 100 R.E.A.L. 250 grain bullets and am very happy also. I am new to this whole flinter thing, and accuracy was excellent with 70 grains Pyrodex Select and a new in box Traditions Deerhunter. Was able to keep them in about a 3" group. All shots the windage was bang on, only need to play with elevation. May try to get out this Thanksgiving weekend if the weather permits. :thumbsup:

I got the LEE REAL 320gr mold and have been very happy with them in my 50cal TC New Englander. I put three shots in the same hole at 50yds and the next two were within an inch of those. I'm getting the 250gr mold next.
I was surprised to find they also shot very well at 50yds to 100yds from my sons TC Pennsylvania Rifle with the slower 1-66 twist. I usually load patch and ball only but now we can both use the same loads for muzzle-loading season in about a week. :thumbsup:

I love 'em, 300 gr 54 cal, shoot for hours without cleaning, and if I miss the bull its my fault.

I ordered a 245 grain .50 caliber R. E. A. L. mould from Graf&Sons this evening.

Do you think Lee REAL bullets can lead up a bore?
A buddy of mine just got a 50cal TC Renagade with set triggers and shooting supplies for $125.00 from an add in the paper. The owner hadn't shot it for about 10 years and the bore was slightly pitted. He's not very impressed with the 100yd groups with patch and ball but at least they are on paper.
I told him I was very impressed with the LEE bullets and offered to give him a bunch but he said he didn't want to lead up the barrel. Any thoughts?

Mike.

With the lower velocities of black powder guns leading should not be a problem. Lube them up a bit and shoot away.

I have three REAL molds for my .50 and .54's and no matter what I do I cannot get good accuracy out of them. I'm talking 1:48 twist barrels.

I just got the GPH 1:32 twist barrel, maybe it will shoot the REAL's better. Wad/no wad has made no difference for me.

Huntin

I have to agree w/ Hunting Dawg.At these velocities leading wont be an issue.I tested some .58 cal. REAL bullets in my P53 this afternoon and was very pleased w/ the results.I did place a wool felt wad beneath the bullet, lubed of course.Best regards,J.A.

I tried REAL's in both my .50 and .54's and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them with 1:48 barrels.
I just got my 1:32 hunter barrel for my GPR and the 380 grain REAL's are tack drivers out of it.

GPH Tagret

Check out the target from the first trip to the range.

Huntin

I have experimanted with the bullets from black jack hill ,
r.e.a.l. bullets and used both shorter and longer bulltes orred by black jack, I found that in my flinter with a douglas barrel at 1-60" twist it favored the shorter 200 grain bullets the best, and 80 grians of 3fg even gave me a bit o recoil was fun I lubed the groves with t/c bore butter 50 yard groups were about 1" will have to try it with a wad underneeth to see what it does. thinking about it makes me want to try them out of my .54's and .58 too. bb75

The LEE REAL is one of my favorite bullets for hunting. A nice fat 120 lb doe fell to one fired from my T/C White Mtn Carbine yesterday. I prefer the 250 grain in the carbine and it shoots better than I can hold out to 100 yards. The load was 75 grains Swiss FFG and the REAL seated firmly on top. For some reason if I stick a wad underneath the bullet my groups open up to three times the size. As for the 1:48 twists, I also cast the 200 grain REAl for a buddy who shoots a T/C Hawken in .45 caliber. He gets one ragged hole at fifty yards with three rounds. Take care, CJ.

If your frontstuffer has trouble with R.E.A.L. bullets, take a close look at the muzzle crown. The peculiar shape of this projectile makes it real sensitive to wear at the crown. A little more gas going past one side or the other as the bullet leaves the muzzle, and your shot goes yar instead of hyar.

Back