• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

leaving guns loaded

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I read an interesting post on another web site about this guy who loaded up a revolver, sealed the chambers, melted wax over the caps and put the gun away for a while, as I understand a couple years, took the gun out after a couple years and fired 2 chambers, cleaned the barrel and the 2 fired chambers. His daughter is interested in guns so he gave the gun to her, if I read right still loaded. I don't know about you guys, but this just doesn't seem like a real smart thing to do. I have left my rifle loaded over night before when I plan to hunt the next morning, also with a tag that reads loaded wire tied to the trigger guard. leaving guns loaded for extended periods of time is just asking for trouble. flinch

flinch said:
leaving guns loaded for extended periods of time is just asking for trouble. flinch

I agree flinch. The first serious rifle I built was a .58 caliber flintlock. I took it hunting one day but a long standing health issue caught up with me and I was laid up for quite a while. About 6 months later I went into the room where I kept my hunting gear and found my daypack and rifle just the way I left them on that day.

I was using a Hoppe's product back then and I'd automatically inserted a feather when I set the rifle down. I thought the matter over, removed myself to a safe locale, primed the pan and touched her off. No hesitation at all so I guess the seal was good.

I've never brought a loaded muzzleloader home since that day. Safety issue? I don't care to dictate to anyone so I'll just say that it's my method applied to my situation.

Regarding muzzleloaders I agree with flinch. I've also left mine loaded overnight when hunting out of the house or a few nights when I was camped out, but not as a defense weapon. There are 4 loaded and strategically and discreetly placed modern hanguns in my house. The wife knows where they are and how to use them as well as I. Now before I get flamed, my youngest child is 31 and lives about 1000 miles away and we have no grandchildren. On the very rare occasion when there are young children or teenagers about the handguns all go in the safe except the one on me.

Vic

sharps4590 said:
Regarding muzzleloaders I agree with flinch. I've also left mine loaded overnight when hunting out of the house or a few nights when I was camped out, but not as a defense weapon. There are 4 loaded and strategically and discreetly placed modern hanguns in my house. The wife knows where they are and how to use them as well as I. Now before I get flamed, my youngest child is 31 and lives about 1000 miles away and we have no grandchildren. On the very rare occasion when there are young children or teenagers about the handguns all go in the safe except the one on me.

Vic

Well Mr. Vic .. are you expectin company? :grin: Or .. are those for in-laws comin ta visit! :hmm: I only have two loaded for bear! :thumbsup:

Davy

Having a loaded ML in the house for a long period of time is no different than a loaded centerfire, it must be secured safely so that it can not fall into the wrong hands.

I guess I have a problem with a loaded gun in the house, muzzleloader or modern, unless of course you are expecting a break in. Even in a secure place, away from children, you know it is loaded, so you see to it no one messes with it. OK, lets say you die in your sleep. Now you have a loaded gun that some may not think is loaded. Sure, we preach treat every gun as though it is loaded, but a lot of people have not been around guns like us, and may just assume it is not loaded, that is when bad things can happen. My wife doesn't know the muzzle from the buttplate on a gun, so I can't expect her to make sure the gun is not loaded if I die. Don't think this can't happen to you. 5 years ago I was late muzzleloader hunting on new years eve, came home and put the gun in the garage where it would stay cold, gun was still loaded. the next morning I had a heart attack, the only thing I could think of in the emergency room was informing my wife there was a loaded gun in the garage, and who to call to take care of it. If I do leave my muzzleloader loaded over night, (not very often) I put a tag on it, LOADED. flinch

It doesn't make any sense to me to leave a muzzleloader loaded.
Why deny youself the enjoyment of a parting shot and the comfort of a clean firearm?

With respect to personal protection I see no problem with keeping a loaded firearm in a secure enviroment.

I don't expect an accident when I buckle my seat belt and I don't expect a home invasion when I keep a loaded revolver in my bedroom.
For me I see no difference in the two,just being prepared.

Keep in mind as we age we become bigger targets for desperate drug addicts.
They see seniors as easy access to the drugs they use.

Davy, I think Mr. Vic just has the opinion, which I share, that you never need a gun until you really need a gun....Hank

tg said:
Having a loaded ML in the house for a long period of time is no different than a loaded centerfire, it must be secured safely so that it can not fall into the wrong hands.

I agree with tg...

And tagged as loaded for extra precaution is a good idea as well...

tag.jpg

I leave mine loaded for days, wks., months and once two yrs. at the time. According to what the situation is. No kids or anyone else touch my guns or are around them. I treat them all as loaded.
I don't have a gas unloader and don't want one..so if I don't feel like cleaning a gun I don't shoot it just to unload.
I do try to make a point to shoot the last day I plan on hunting for the yr. but sometimes I don't and end up leaving it loaded till next season.
They have always fired.

I leave my muzzleloader loaded during hunting season until I shoot it at game or the season is over, which ever comes first. :grin:

I also like to start off my day of hunting with a fresh load in it, so will pull the ball and charge when I am done for the day. I also get a good feeling knowing that my gun is squeaky clean before going to bed. After pulling the ball and dumping the charge, if I am gonna hunt the next day I will just swab it with a clean patch, no oil, if I will not be going out the next day I will give it a good swabbing with oil. different strokes for different folks. flinch

You got it Hank. I can see the scenario right now..."just a moment Mr. Burglar while I run downstairs, open my safe, then go to the locked cabinet in the upstairs garage where I keep my ammo then let me load my gun in the middle of the night, in the dark, while my glasses are on the bathroom vanity and I'll confront you".

Ain't gonna happen in my house.....probably ain't gonna happen in the Ozarks.

Vic

The thing that concerns me most if storing a firearm loaded with a blackpowder charge is the question of possible barrel/chamber corrosion. Look at the way your brass powder flask fittings discolour over time due to contact with blackpowder salts. I'm guessing here, but I might suggest that a powder charge kept in a barrel for a long period just might induce some rusting. Remember, blackpowder is hygroscopic - that is it attracts moisture. Chances are that your powder has already absorbed a certain % of moisture and this, when combined with saltpetre, could start off some rusting over a period of time.

Only a thought.

Tight Wad :shocked2:

Tight_Wad said:
The thing that concerns me most if storing a firearm loaded with a blackpowder charge is the question of possible barrel/chamber corrosion.

Black powder isn't corrosive until it's fired, it shouldn't harm your barrel at all...

As for the powder flask, it could have had some residue transfered from your hands and/or clothing, (along with your skin's natural oils) that tarnished the brass...

Was the inside of the flask the part that was tarnished or the outside?

Tight_Wad said:
The thing that concerns me most if storing a firearm loaded with a blackpowder charge is the question of possible barrel/chamber corrosion. Look at the way your brass powder flask fittings discolor over time due to contact with blackpowder salts. I'm guessing here, but I might suggest that a powder charge kept in a barrel for a long period just might induce some rusting. Remember, blackpowder is hygroscopic - that is it attracts moisture. Chances are that your powder has already absorbed a certain % of moisture and this, when combined with saltpeter, could start off some rusting over a period of time.

Only a thought.

Tight Wad :shocked2:

Not true black powder is not hydroscopic in and of itself. Once it's been burnt it is very hydroscopic. After all is said and done the water is what causes rust and corrosion.

I've left my ML loaded for months with no ill effect. Surely you don't think the frontiersmen unloaded theirs daily what a waste of powder and ball that would be. Not to mention the fact that they needed to keep their firelock loaded for protection and any opportunity to take meat and hide for the larder.

My mentor has restored dozens of old originals many handed down through the years from father to son. More than half of them came to him loaded.

Many of the owners were surprised to find that they were loaded. One in particular told him that he'd had the gun for several years and when he was a youngster in his father's home he'd dropped the hammer on the nipple hundreds of times shooting imaginary Indians and bears and such! He had never dreamed that it was loaded. But the original owner of that gun kept it loaded at all times because it was his only weapon! When he died it was passed down to whoever it was just retired to the closet.

Old GGG Grandpa always kept it over the mantle or beside the door as the stories went. Many times they told of how their was wild Injuns back in his day. Maybe he lived on the frontier of wherever.

Do you think those settlers only loaded their guns when under attack, I think not! This is a little more than my 2 cents worth it's logic also!

Chuck :hmm:

Vic[/quote]

Well Mr. Vic .. are you expectin company? :grin: Or .. are those for in-laws comin ta visit! :hmm: I only have two loaded for bear! :thumbsup:

Davy
[/quote]

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Even though I completly agree with Vic's stradigy for protecting his wife and himself from the scum of the earth, I thought this quote above was a good one...thank you!

"blackpowder is hygroscopic"
My understanding is it only becomes hygroscopic after being fired. :hmm:
Old Charlie

I was raised country, so I have a different take on this issue.
I was raised where there was always a gun available pretty much all the time. Many homes had one standing behind the door loaded all the time. A kid that touched one had better hope he shot himself with it. No one ever did that I know of. My daughter grew up the same way. In that world, it was common and caused no problems.
At the big farm, an accident happened, or at least it was called an accident. The owner came in and put his loaded gun in the corner by the door like normal. Days later, his grandson came to visit. Now, this was not a small child. After the man went to bed, the grandson decided to wipe down the guns standing in the corner. After the gun was wiped down, he put a rag on top of the barrel so he did not touch the oiled surface, and held the gun by placing his hand palm down on top of the barrel. He reached down to take a final swipe around the trigger guard and put a 12 guage round thru his hand and into the ceiling.
The safety rules violated by the young man are obvious. Was this caused by a loaded gun? NO! It was caused by a child with poor impulse control and absolutely no clue about what he was doing messing with something he should have left alone. I am sorry he was hurt, but find it very hard to blame the man that lived there.
I don't keep a loaded gun myself because I only use muzzleloaders. For many years my third model Dragoon was in a holster hanging from my head board with all six loaded. Everyone knew it was loaded and left it alone. I don't do revolvers anymore.
The leaving a gun loaded equation is not as simple as some would make it.

Old Charlie said:
"blackpowder is hygroscopic"
My understanding is it only becomes hygroscopic after being fired. :hmm:
Old Charlie

Nope. Anything with potassiun or sodium in it's composition will be hygroscopic to varying degrees. It's just more so after being fired, but probably only because it is spread out more. The graphite coating on our powder further minimizes it in unburnt powder. How much atmospheric exchange occurs through a nipple or vent is pretty minimal; so plug them with a feather quill if you're concerned.

Back