• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather for gripping flint...where to find?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweston

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I need to get some leather to grip the flint in my lock. It is hard brittle and loose. Where can I order some?

The forum concensus pretty much poo-poos lead.

Tandy / Leather Factory, do a google search to find the store nearest you. You can either get a deerskin or get a belt/purse strap, 3/4 or 1 inch wide and 72 inches long. You may have to thin it a little bit but for the cost, it's real cheap. I'm trying a lead wrap around one of my flints to see how many shots without knapping. So far it's on 42 shots without a knap or any adjustment other than wiping the flint with a rag every now and then.

Tongue out of an old shoe, or if you know a Buckskinner he or she probably has a lot of scrap pieces.

I have several small pieces of leather that'll work. PM me with your address and I'll mail them to you if you need some and can't find any.

Blacksburg said:
I need to get some leather to grip the flint in my lock. It is hard brittle and loose. Where can I order some?

The forum concensus pretty much poo-poos lead.

Any well equipped hardware will have what is called a "farmer's bundle", which is a roll of different types of leather in various weights for a few bucks, it is a great source for those small leather job needs...

[/quote]

Any well equipped hardware will have what is called a "farmer's bundle", which is a roll of different types of leather in various weights for a few bucks, it is a great source for those small leather job needs...[/quote]

And they are cheap too...I got a whole bumch of leather for just $3...making all sorts of stuff...from belt sheaths to jewlery :thumbsup:

if you need some let me know i have 5 boxes of scrap from my bag waste i mail you all you need. :thumbsup:

Scraps from a local shop or craftsman are the way to go. One 'throwaway' piece from the local saddlemaker cost me nothing and will probably keep me in flint leather for a year or more.

Don't buy the stuff Dixie offers for sale... too thin for the job, and way too pricey.

I was cutting up old leather deerskin work gloves and still see that as a workable solution.I dropped an 8 point in 2004 and having just purchased a book on tanning deer hides proceeded to skin and braintan the hide.Seems I have almost a lifetime supply of flint leathers now!Best regards,J.A.

Other sources of leather can range from worn out moccasins, tennis racket/golf club grips and even your wife's favorite purse (caution must be taken on that last one) :haha:

Wonder if naugahyde would work??? :hmm: :rotf:

Musketman said:
Wonder if naugahyde would work??? :hmm:
Actually it does...when I first started with flintlocks I bought a grocery bag of leather scraps from an auto upholstery place for a few bucks and at first was disappointed to get home and realize it was 99% synthetic stuff like that, only a couple small strips of actual leather.

But, the stuff did fine and I had so much, that when I cleaned the rifle, I didn't even bother to clean and save them like I do with a good piece of real leather...I just threw that piece of synthetic leather away and put in a fresh piece for the next range session.

Musketman said:
Wonder if naugahyde would work??? :hmm:

A little off-center but since I haven't seen a naugah since the 1950's, and no pink or lime ones since the Truman administration, wonder if we can get federal money to Save The Naugahs??!!!!!!!!! :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

Blacksburg said:

Check with local Amish families too, they are nice people and will more than likely give you some worn leather harness straps or reins. Leather is everywhere, from shoes to biker's black leather jackets, some are harder to get than others. Wee-doggies, them Hell's Angels sure put up a ruckus when Granny commence to take after them with them thar sheep sheers so as I could have some flint wraps. :rotf:

I use scrap pieces from a 10 oz double shoulder that's oak tanned that I picked up for making holsters. I'm pretty sure that latigo would work just as well. Main thing is to have it thick enough for some "crush" factor so it'll hold the flint without being too thick.

Back